Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Black.ViX 18 posts 34 karma points
    Dec 16, 2014 @ 00:49
    Black.ViX

Umbraco V 7.2 Sessions expire due to 401 Unauthorized

Good day.

I've been struggling for a while sorting out this issue.
    Like many on the web my sessions in Umbraco 7.2 keeps dropping minutes or even seconds after login.

I've been through the whole list of setups and changes with the ISP, changes on my side. Basically everything I could find in the forum and the internet. Up to this point no luck.

What I did found each time it tries to execute something located in this directory: /umbraco/backoffice/UmbracoApi/Content/..... it gives a 401 : Unauthorized error,
    reason:
    Authorization has been denied for this request.

and logs out / drops the session.

The read/Write/Execute rights are all the way it should be, etc.

Is this maybe a bug, or do I need to change something on my side, or basically anything??

Like most also, didn't had this problem when working from my LocalHost.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards

Dec 16, 2014 @ 09:23
    Black.ViX

Hi,

I see no posts on this, anyone not having the same problem?

Thank you!

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 16, 2014 @ 09:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi

Is this a fresh installation of Umbraco 7.2 or have you done an upgrade from an earlier version?

There was an issue with some 401 stuff in a previous version but it should be fixed in 7.2 according to this issue http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5430 - Don't know if it's somehow related perhaps?

/Jan

Dec 16, 2014 @ 10:22
    Black.ViX

Hi Jan

Thank you for your reply.

This was a fresh install of Umbraco 7.2.

But what I did was to install it on my localhost, backup to DB and send that to the ISP to create the DB on their side, then I FTP the installed files to the wwwroot dir and started to load content and make changes. This is when the logout sessions started. I can work on anything, content, templates, etc. So when it can't access as mentioned above it logs out.

Could this have an effect that I did not install on the ISP server directly?

And thank you for your suggestion, I did see the post but unfortunetly it didn't help much.

Thank you for your time.

Kind regards.

Dec 16, 2014 @ 10:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hmm, did it work locally? Or could you try doing the same work locally and see if it works?

If so I would say it's the setup on the ISP that needs to be checked to make sure everything is setup correctly.

What database did you using during your local installation? And what database version is it restored to?

/Jan

Dec 16, 2014 @ 10:54
    Black.ViX

On a local installation I build the whole website first, so had no problems on my side. Then I created a empty "installation" on the ISP mentioned above, this is where the problems presist.

I had the ISP checked all the requirements twice:

AppPool - .Net4.0 Integrated (Local and on ISP)
    ISP are using IIS 8.5, I was using 7
    ISP is using SQL Server 2008 R2, I was using SQL Server 2012
    READ/WRITE/EXECUTE rights on all related users is set.

Hope the above information helps.

Thank you for your time Jan.

Kind regards

Dec 16, 2014 @ 11:47
    Jan Skovgaard

Ok, things look fine - however I'm a bit uncertain if the difference in the database version can have some influence on the issues you're having. But I suppose any migrating issues would appear in the process of attaching the database on the server...so I guess the ISP have already handled that one.

Don't know if there could be any issues related to IIS 8.5 either though...I'm currently out of ideas but if I stumble upon something then I'll let you know.

Hopefully some of other bright minds in here will be able to point you in the right direction.

/Jan

Dec 16, 2014 @ 12:47
    Black.ViX

Thank you for the time and effort in helping me resolve this Jan, much much appreciated!

Our conversation did give me an idea, to drop the DB on the ISP, create a new blank one, copy installation files to the wwwroot dir and run the installation on the ISP  server, not sure if it will work but i'm down to trying sort of anything now.

On the otherside, I can work on the CMS, but it is a bit of a hassle to log in every few minutes.

Again, thank you for you time.

Kind regards

Dec 16, 2014 @ 17:04
    Black.ViX

Hi Jan,

Ok.... I've ask my ISP to delete the DB, create a new one with exaclty the same Name, Username, password but to leave it blank and the nessesary rights as well.
    Then I copied the latest files from 7.2.1 and FTP to wwwroot on the ISP. (Downloaded the latest version)

Went to the URL, filled in all the information and did the installation.

Then at the beginning it did drop me twice, but for the last hour or two i've been making changes, adding content, creating Document Types etc, etc and not once did the session drop.

So I'm weary to say it might have solved this, but affraid this might happen again. All in all it is much better than it was previously, but will post again if the session drops still occur.

Thank you for your time

Kind regards,

Dec 18, 2014 @ 22:25
    Black.ViX

So...

The solution above did not do the trick.
    The sessions keeps dropping within a minute or 2 after login, even when I log in it redirects to the login screen with session time out message.

I've been at it for more than a week now with no solution, and it looks like no one on the forum has encountered the same issue.

I'm out of idees....

I even asked the ISP to give all users to the folder full control rights and even still it happens.

bleh...

Kind regards.

• SamKO 2 posts 21 karma points
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 12:47
    SamKO

Have the same problems, local everything ok, but on the ISP it get Session Timeout after some seconds

• SamKO 2 posts 21 karma points
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 22:10
    SamKO
    Jan Skovgaard I can give you access to ubraco admin panel since it's a new instalation.
    What i did:
    1.Create a new project in VisualStudio 2014 
    2.NuGet Umbraco Installation
    3.Publish site to ISP (Publish ower VS Publis Options FTP)
    4.Create database on ISP
    5.Call the URL on ISP
    6.Continue the instalation of Umbraco (enter Database Info and...)
    7.Finished SetUp
    8.Went to URL/umbraco
    9.Loged In
    10. Get kicked out every 5-10 secunds

*I didn't start the installation localy
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 23:34
    Black.ViX

Sorry to hear SamKO,

I am so out of ideas..... my last resort is to think the DB connection with username and password is faulty on the ISP side.

• Hayley 23 posts 71 karma points
    Dec 26, 2014 @ 01:54
    Hayley

Hi,

I'm getting the same issue on a fresh 7.2.1 installation, both local and at the ISP I'm getting the issue. I'm using SQL Compact Edition. I've increased the session timeout to 120, but still getting sessions ending after no more than a minute.

Dec 27, 2014 @ 00:17
    Black.ViX

Hi Hayley,

I haven't figured out the solution to this yet, but it is strange you get this on your local machine, where I only have issues at my ISP.
    Have you maybe tried a SQL Database insted of SQL Compact?

The SQL Server I am using is 2012 version, you can download a free copy from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-za/download/details.aspx?id=29062

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Dec 27, 2014 @ 00:20
    Black.ViX

or maybe a read/write/execute issue on the folder containing the files.

• Sanjay Zalke 10 posts 30 karma points
    Oct 05, 2016 @ 05:31
    Sanjay Zalke

I am having similar behaviour but on save of any template or macro i.e. which ends up in a physical file being created under IIS.

I am creating site directly on ISP server and no local site is setup. Currently hosted on a non-important domain (temp domain) as it was brand new site.

I have tried to find issues around IIS and file changes butno direct answers.

Does any one have any fix or faced similar issues?

Sanjay

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft