Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rune Grønkjær 1371 posts 3102 karma points
    Dec 18, 2014 @ 11:38
    Rune Grønkjær

7.2 using the Grid system responsive

Hi Guys,

Have anyone created a responsive layout with the new grid system?

The whole idea of the grid system i brilliant, but as I see it there's one big thing that it cannot do. We use Twitter Bootstrap 3 for our setups, and the grid system i that i brilliant. The fact that you can tell a column to be "col-md-4 col-sm-6" for example is great. But how would I do that with the Grid system in Umbraco 7.2?

The default grid template renders the class like this: [email protected]
    This means I need to choose one size, in this case "md", and that cannot be changed. 

Don't we need the option to tell a column in the Umbraco Grid how to behave on all different sizes? Yes, I know there's other grid systems out there, so it would have to be a dynamic solution.

/Rune

• Robert Mulder 79 posts 272 karma points c-trib
    Jan 09, 2015 @ 20:52
    Robert Mulder

I am wondering the same thing, have you found a way to work around this issue? Currently all I can think of is to add a custom property and change the way the display views work, but that seems like quite a bit of work...

Jan 12, 2015 @ 08:20
    Rune Grønkjær

@Robert - No, I have not figured this one out yet. I can't see this working without having to change a lot of markup on every new website. We will continue using Archtype to make stuff like this. http://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/archetype/

Unless someone comes up with a solution for the Grid system.

/Rune

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 12:17
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Did you try the Fanoe starter kit? It installs if you do a default install of Umbraco 7.2 without customizing. 

Jeroen

Jan 12, 2015 @ 12:19
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 15:25
    Rune Grønkjær

Hi Jeroen,

Implementing and starting to use the grid system is not a problem at all. What they have done around that is fantastic, and very easy to use.

The problem is making it truly responsive by alowing a block to fill 3 columns in one screen size and 4 columns in another. There's no settings for that, as far as I can see. All you can choose is one number of column per block and that won't cut it.

/Rune

Jan 12, 2015 @ 15:35
    Jeroen Breuer

I understand the problem. Don't think there is a solution for that yet. Maybe you can do something with this blogpost: http://24days.in/umbraco/2014/grid-macros/

You could also add a feature request here: http://issues.umbraco.org/dashboard#newissue=yes

Jeroen

• Robert Mulder 79 posts 272 karma points c-trib
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 15:49
    Robert Mulder

Well, what I decided to do is to just style each possible row configuration for responsiveness. We know that (for Bootstrap 3) the resulting html is similar to the following:

div with attribute per row config property
      div.row
        div.col-md-xx.column
          div with attribute per column config property

What I do is create a new row config property 'Row Template' that uses the dropdownlist as an editor with certain specific templates I plan on styling.

Let's say one of the Row Templates is 'Unique Selling points' with value USP. The resulting html would become:

<div row-template="usp">
      <div class="row">
        <div class="col-md-4>
           <div>some unique selling point</div>
        </div>
        <div class="col-md-4>
        </div>
        <div class="col-md-4>
        </div>
      </div>
    </div>

Now lets say I always want the USP's to be columns regardless of the width of the screen. I can simply add to my .less file:

[row-template='usp'] {
      .col-md-4 {
        float: left;
        width: percentage(1/3);
      }
    }

The biggest downfall of this approach is that the end user will always have to choose a row template in addition to picking a row configuration. It'd be much nicer if it were possible to add a default row class to a row configuration. This is really easy to add though (and it's what I do in practise as opposed to the template approach), but it requires modifying standard Umbraco files which I'm normally not particulary fond of...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft