Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Gordon 21 posts 42 karma points
    Dec 22, 2014 @ 14:14
    Gordon

Umbraco App_Data/cache folder huge

Hi,

We recently deployed a website which was about 15GB in total with quite a few images using Umbraco 7.1.8

Everything was fine until we got a notification from Microsoft telling us we are using 180% of the allocated space, i.e. the site was up to 90GB.

Further investigation revealed it was the App_Data/cache folder being more than 50GB in size.

We recently deployed a similar site in size and type (basically sites for large theme parks) and no problems here (also 7.1.8).

We are using http://imageresizing.net/ for our image resizing so we really don't need this caching from Umbraco, especially at these sizes.

When trying to delete the files it give errors saying that some of the files are in use. We have created a scheduled task to try and delete all the files this cache folder creates to ensure the site does not go over the size limit enforced by Azure.

Any ideas why this folder is so big? Or how to disable it?

Thanks

Gordon

• Stefan Kip 1614 posts 4131 karma points c-trib
    Dec 22, 2014 @ 14:36
    Stefan Kip

Sounds like the ImageProcessor cache folder.

Dec 22, 2014 @ 15:32
    Gordon

Is there any way to disable it?

The http://imageresizing.net cache folder is in the root of the site and it's a moderate 2GB if finle size, which is what we would expect.

Regards

Gordon

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Dec 22, 2014 @ 17:14
    Nicholas Westby

It seems there are two possible solutions: http://our.umbraco.org/projects/collaboration/imageprocessor/feedback-for-imageprocessor/47626-Is-there-an-onoff-switch

1. Remove ImageProcessorModule from the web.config.
    2. Set maxDays to -1 in an ImageProcessor-specific config file.

I don't see that ImageProcessor config file in my installation, so not sure if that's something to be expected in all installations.

Dec 24, 2014 @ 10:43
    Gordon

Did both of those and the cache folder is still growing.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Gordon

• Tobias Klika 101 posts 570 karma points c-trib
    Dec 24, 2014 @ 12:05
    Tobias Klika

You can delete the cache folder and let ImageProcessor start over again?
    Maybe there were a lot of "dead" images?

I don't think deactiving caching of ImageProcessor is the solution as it would mean generating your modified images on the fly all the time.

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 24, 2014 @ 12:35
    Jeavon Leopold

Also, ImageProcessor would not be generating files in the cache folder if it were not being used. Are you sure you are using ImageResizer? Assuming you are, I would recommend you remove the ImageProcessor HTTP handler from web.config.

Dec 29, 2014 @ 15:18
    Gordon

Removed the HTTP handler and stopped the website. Deleted the cache folder and started the service up again.

Looks like it's behaving now (without the image processor). It removed approx 50GB of images for a site that's only 10GB in total, so some form of cache clearance strategy is probably needed. We are definitely using image resizer which currently has about 2 GB worth of images in cache and cleans the image out if not used within a certain duration.

Thanks for the help

Regards

Gordon

• Dan White 206 posts 510 karma points c-trib
    Jan 10, 2015 @ 21:54
    Dan White

Just curious, is this a common issue with ImageProcessor or can it be prevented simply by decreasing the maxDays in the cache.config?

• Nikhil 54 posts 166 karma points
    Jul 23, 2020 @ 10:05
    Nikhil

Faced the same issue. Cache size was 12 GB after image changes in 2 days. Stopped the site. Cleared cache and restarted. Will observe.

• Owen Blacker 19 posts 92 karma points
    Aug 24, 2020 @ 14:43
    Owen Blacker

How are you finding it a month later?

I'm having a similar problem, which I thought was down to a permissions problem, but I've corrected the permissions and it's still not right for me.

Did you find it's working normally for you now, Nikhil? Did you need to change anything else? 😊

• Nikhil 54 posts 166 karma points
    Aug 25, 2020 @ 15:33
    Nikhil

No issues. Some changes were made and new images were added due to which the cache size increased. After deletion its working fine.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft