Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Sham Yemul 35 posts 98 karma points
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 07:53
    Sham Yemul

Not-able-to-configure-database-in-umbraco-7.1.8

Hi,

I have installed UmbracoCms 7.1.8 on windows 7 (No service pack) 32-bit. 
    I am using IIS 7.5 , SQL Server 2008 R2 and .net framework 4.5.

During Installation I provide SQL server details.  I have installed Umbraco 7.1.8 successfully but
    after fininshing installation I could not get tables in my UmbracoDB. 

Please let me know what can be the problem or I missed any steps of installation?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 08:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sham

What approach did you take installing Umbraco? Was it manually or using WebPi?

And what do you mean by you're not able to get any tables in your UmbracoDB? Can't you login to Umbraco and create document types etc.?

What do you see if you login to the database server? Are there any tables in the Umbraco database?

/Jan

Dec 23, 2014 @ 08:34
    Sham Yemul

Hi Jan

I have installed Umbraco manually

I login to umbraco successfully and it allows to create document types.

When I login to database server I could not get tables in my Umbraco database.

Dec 23, 2014 @ 08:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sham

Can you show a screendump of what it looks like?

I suspect that for some reason the MSSQL database have not been created but that you're running CE SQL instead, which is the default option when running the installer.

So if you don't see any Umbraco table in MSSQL then please try having a look in the /app_data/ folder where there will be a .sdf file, which is the embedded CE SQL database.

You can see the tables if you use Webmatrix and open the website using it. Then click the "Database" tab in the lower left corner. If you want to migrate from CE SQL to MSSQL you can use the migration option in Webmatrix as well.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 23, 2014 @ 09:22
    Sham Yemul

Hi Jan,

When I login to database server I could not get tables in my Umbraco database see below screen shot.

No during installation I have selected MS-SQL server database and provided instance name, password and database name.

I have checked "app_data" folder I could not get .sdf files.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 23, 2014 @ 09:44
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Sham

As Jan already said then the Umbraco 7 installer uses by default, the SQL CE database, it has been done for make it easy for users that is not much familar with the database stuff, however this is possible to change when you are install Umbraco.

When you have fill in your name and email  and password in the installation wizard, then you can click on the grey customize button, you can choose to use another database.

If you click on the grey customize button, then you can choose to use another database, like the screenshot are showing below.

After that click go, then you get an explanation on what a starter kit is and you can choose by two differnt themes or use not to install a starter kit, and the intention with the new installer is to make it easy to get started and setup a Umbraco installation.

The screen with the explanation on what a starter kit is looks like this:

If you have the Microsoft Webmatrix installed, try to open up your solution in this, and then you will see a tab in the left corner called databases, then you will get access to the database tables.

If you´re using the Umbraco SQLCE dataabase then as Jan also pointed out, you should be able to find a .sdf file in your Umbraco installation file systemt in the folder called /App_Data. the file is called Umbraco.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Dec 23, 2014 @ 09:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sham

I think you should check it - Perhaps there might be a weird issue with the installer ignoring if one has chosen to create a new database during installation.

Anyhow your Umbraco database is empty and contains no tables. It should look like the second last screendump Dennis posted above. Therefore I'm certain that for some reason your site is currently running CE SQL.

Cheers, Jan

Dec 23, 2014 @ 10:07
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Sham,

And if you have the webmatrix installed left corner called databases, then you will get access to the database tables. Try to mark the database file, when you have done that then the Migrate button get active, and then you just following the conversion wizard.

When you have done the migrate to an MSSQL database, then remember to change your connection string so it point to the new MSSQL database. 

/Dennis

Dec 23, 2014 @ 10:59
    Sham Yemul

Hi Dennis,

I am not using web matrix I have installed umbraco manually, please let me know is there any another tool to view SQL CE database.

Dec 23, 2014 @ 11:04
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Sham

I'll recommend that you install Webmatrix since it really makes it a bliss to migrate the database from CE SQL to MSSQL - I have done it many times. You can download it here http://www.microsoft.com/web/webmatrix/

Otherwise I suggest you follow the advice from this article (Which also mentions Webmatrix as an option btw. :)) http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg592944%28v=sql.110%29.aspx

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Dec 23, 2014 @ 11:06
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Sham,

Perhaps, this blogpost from Carlos Martinezt can help you migrate from SQL CE database to SQLserver

http://carlosmartinezt.com/2014/03/umbraco-migrate-from-sql-ce-to-sql-server/

/Dennis

Dec 26, 2014 @ 06:56
    Sham Yemul

Hi Dennis,

Thanks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft