Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 12:21
    Tony Groome

Going from Sql Server back to Sql Ce

Hi All

This may sound a bit odd, but I would like to go back from Sql Server to Ce. The problem is I need to take a project from one pc to another to complete it. It was set up on a machine with Sql Server, probably Express. The guy who did it has left and nobody is sure where his database is! The site is unpublished. Is there a way to do this? So far I have tried to change the <connectionStrings> in WebMatrix. I just copied from another project to:

</appSettings>
      <connectionStrings>
        <remove name="umbracoDbDSN" />
          <add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf;Flush Interval=1;" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0"/>
        <!-- Important: If you're upgrading Umbraco, do not clear the connection string / provider name during your web.config merge. -->
      </connectionStrings>

But that didn't work. I got this...

Server Error in '/' Application.

Error running Reader:
    SQL Statement:
    SELECT id, domainName FROM umbracoDomains ORDER BY id

Exception:
    System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeException (0x80004005): The database file cannot be found. Check the path to the database. [ Data Source = E:\Chausser\App_Data\Umbraco.sdf ]
      at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection.Open(Boolean silent)
      at System.Data.SqlServerCe.SqlCeConnection.Open()
      at SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCeContextGuardian.EnsureOpenBackgroundConnection(String connectionString)
      at SQLCE4Umbraco.SqlCeContextGuardian.Open(String connectionString)
      at SqlCE4Umbraco.SqlCeApplicationBlock.ExecuteReader(String connectionString, CommandType commandType, String commandText, SqlCeParameter[] commandParameters)

Any ideas?

Thanks

Tony

Dec 30, 2014 @ 13:32
    Tony Groome

Hi All

I have just discovered that when I try to run the copied project it falls over as above, but when I attempt to log into the back office it just ignores the request 

http://localhost:46893/umbraco#/login/false

The login and password are correct.

The plot thickens....

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 14:17
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Tony,

You should be able to going from Sql Server back to SqlCe database using the SQL Server Compact/SQLite Toolbox that you can find here: https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/0e313dfd-be80-4afb-b5e9-6e74d369f7a1

And here is a video where the co-founder of the tool are talking about what you can do with it, and one thing you can is to port a sql to a sqlce. http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Visual-Studio-Toolbox/Visual-Studio-Toolbox-SQL-Server-Compact-Toolbox

So I thinkt at you should be able to convert your sql to sqlce by using the tool

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Dec 30, 2014 @ 16:44
    Tony Groome

Hi Dennis

Thanks a lot for that! We got sorted. Woo hoo!

Now, its back to the Back Office!!

Tony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft