Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Keith Donnell 82 posts 187 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 18:13
    Keith Donnell

Indexing PDFs in Umbraco 7.2.1

I have followed the configuration examples for indexing PDFs seen here http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Searching/Examine/full-configuration

I am getting an error Could not load file or assembly 'UmbracoExamine.PDF' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

It highlights the following line in the ExamineSettings.config:
          <add name="PDFIndexer"
                 type="UmbracoExamine.PDF.PDFIndexer, UmbracoExamine.PDF"
                 extensions=".pdf"
                 umbracoFileProperty="umbracoFile"/>

I'm not sure what assembly I'm missing (and I'm not sure why I would be missing it, as I installed Umbraco using NuGet).  Is there a new way to do this in Umbraco 7?

• Dallas 132 posts 404 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 19:26
    Dallas

Hi Keith

The missing file is UmbraoExamine.PDF.dll

I double checked some of our v7 projects and the UmbracoExamine.Pdf dll is not in the bin directory. In our case the Umbraco files were downloaded directly from the download page not with nuget. Looks like the file has been excluded from the recent releases and it is not an issue specific to nuget. The file is also missing from the v6 releases from my quick check. 

If you look at the Umbraco source on Github the UmbracoExamine.PDF project is still in there. To get the dll you can download the source code for v7.2.1 and build the projects locally. This will give you the UmbracoExamine.PDF.dll. 

Looks like there is a related issue and the status is set to fixed but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Dallas

• Keith Donnell 82 posts 187 karma points
    Dec 30, 2014 @ 19:43
    Keith Donnell

I am cloning the project now.  Thank you for your help.

• Marco Teodoro 72 posts 147 karma points c-trib
    Apr 28, 2015 @ 18:35
    Marco Teodoro

Hi guys, 

i'm trying to make this work on the umbraco 7.2.4 but no luck so far. I've installed the pdfsearch from nuget http://umbraco.com/follow-us/blog-archive/2015/3/31/umbracoexaminepdf-finally-available-on-nuget.

My examineIndex and examine settings seems to be ok, since on backoffice, more specifically developers section i can see that i've two files indexed but i can't search any content text on backoffice search box. Do i need to make any other configuration to be able to see the results on backoffice?

Thks

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft