Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jason Espin 368 posts 1335 karma points
    Jan 02, 2015 @ 17:25
    Jason Espin

Error uploading images to Umbraco 7.2.1

Hi all,

It's a new year so I thought I would try out the new grid functionality in Umbraco 7.2.1 by following the fairly simple tutorial that was uploaded to Umbraco.tv http://umbraco.tv/videos/umbraco-v7/implementor/fundamentals/grid-layouts/creating-content/

However, I am encountering some weird issues when trying to perform a simple image upload using the Media section in the Umbraco back office.

The following are the steps to recreate this issue on a local machine:

1. Install Umbraco 7.2.1 using NuGet in Visual Studio
    2. Create a folder in the media section
    3. Create an image underneath the folder. Select a local image from your machine via the 'Upload Image' button
    4. Add a name to your image 5 - Click 'Save'

Upon following these steps I am presented with the following error message:

Error

Server error: Contact administrator, see log for full details. undefined

I've had a look in App_Data/Logs/UmbracoTraceLog.txt and cannot see any error logging occuring at all. I've also noticed that the following error is raised in my Firebug console upon clicking 'Save' to upload the image:

Error: $scope.model.value.newPassword is undefined
    resetModel@http://localhost:61819/DependencyHandler.axd?s=L3VtYnJhY28vbGliL2pxdWVyeS9qcXVlcnktMi4wLjMubWluLmpzOy91bWJyYWNvL2xpYi9hbmd1bGFyLzEuMS41L2FuZ3VsYXIubWluLmpzOy91bWJyYWNvL2xpYi91bmRlcnNjb3JlL3VuZGVyc2NvcmUuanM7L3VtYnJhY28vbGliL2pxdWVyeS9qcXVlcnktdWktMS4xMC4zLmN1c3RvbS5taW4uanM7L3VtYnJhY28vbGliL2FuZ3VsYXIvMS4xLjUvYW5ndWxhci1jb29raWVzLm1pbi5qczsvdW1icmFjby9saWIvYW5ndWxhci8xLjEuNS9hbmd1bGFyLW1vYmlsZS5qczsvdW1icmFjby9saWIvYW5ndWxh.......
    Line 12

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this frankly weird error?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 02, 2015 @ 18:09
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

Happy new year first of all :)

The error message is indeed weird - Can you browse the backoffice after this error has happened? Or will you then be logged out? Not sure what is causing it but I'm wondering what the image weight is? Is it more than 4 Mb? If so has the maximum upload been set to allow for file sizes greater than 4Mb? It should however give you another error message if that's the case but I think it's worth checkking.

Does the /app_data/logs file reveal any more details about the error?

/Jan

Jan 02, 2015 @ 18:29
    Jason Espin

Hi Jan,

Happy new year to you too!

I've tried navigating around the back office after this happens and everything seems to work fine. I've also tried logging out and logging back in again. The image is fairly large (4MB+) and I haven't amended the maximum upload setting as this was just designed to be a quick taster of how the new grid system works as a content editor but surely this would not produce such an odd error as this? If that is the case, then it probably needs looking into as Umbraco newbies might be put off by the misleading error message.

Unfortunately as I mentioned above, the app_data/logs file doesn't shed any light on this at all.

I'll give modifying the maximum file upload size (which is always set way too small by default in my opinion :-)) a try when I get home tonight and let you know if that makes any difference.

Cheers,

Jason

Jan 02, 2015 @ 18:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

Thank you :)

Ok, well then it might be the default stuff - Yeah it's too small in my opinion too not sure why Microsoft has decided that the 4Mb should be the default.

But I usually just make one installation, which I keep in git so I can tweak all the necessary configurations etc. only once and then always clone this project when starting out fresh the next time. I of course also add some setup things so I don't need to repeat myself all the time.

Looking forward to hearing if it's the maximum upload stuff that is the culprit.

/Jan

• Michal Koblasa 45 posts 139 karma points
    Jan 02, 2015 @ 20:51
    Michal Koblasa

Hello guys,

i have updated umbraco to 7.2.1 and umage uploading is failing if the file is bigger that 4 MB. But it uploads, on half seconds it is shown in folder and than it dissapears without any error message.

Actualy i do not know if there is set some limit (if is, it will be default limit after instalation), but it would be nice to have a error message: "This file is exceeds allowed size for upload. Current maximum size is 4 MB."

Jan 02, 2015 @ 21:00
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Michael

As mentioned above the default upload limit for any ASP.NET application is 4 mb pr. default.

You can easily change this in the web.config though - Please see the 1. tip in Jeavon's article from the 2013 edition of the Umbraco advent calendar here http://24days.in/umbraco/2013/6-easy-configuration-tweaks/

Hope this helps in your case.

/Jan

• Michal Koblasa 45 posts 139 karma points
    Jan 02, 2015 @ 21:04
    Michal Koblasa

Thank you.

btw: Error message about maximum file size would be nice :-)

Jan 02, 2015 @ 21:13
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Michal

If it does not show anything then it might be worth adding a feature request for it on the issue tracker at http://issues.umbraco.org/issues - Then there might be a chance that HQ or someone from the community will contribute fixing it with a pull request :)

Cheers, Jan

Jan 12, 2015 @ 14:07
    Jason Espin

Hi Jan,

Turns out it was the standard stuff. Thanks for giving me the idea of storing my config in a repository though. NEver thought of that.

Cheers,

Jason

Jan 12, 2015 @ 17:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jason

Happy you got it solved and you're very welcome - I think it's a nice time saver when starting a fresh project and then there is a base to build upon in the future etc. :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft