Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 11:31
    Tony Groome

User access to Document Type

Hi All

I am wondering if it is possible to allow a user, such as a writer to access only to a certain document type. A the moment in the Content Editor there is a Homepage and under the Homepage it is possible to create NewsItem1 or NewsItem2. These are Document Types each having its own Template. Am I going about this the right way? 

My final goal is for each department to have its own Document Type and to be allowed to post news from its department on the Homepage. It won't be pretty, but sure that's what they want!

Thanks.

Tony

• John C Scott 473 posts 1183 karma points
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 12:42
    John C Scott

There isn't the ability to restrict users to specific document types that I am aware of. You can restrict a user to a spefic start node though, and that node can have a specific document type restricted to it by the parent. Maybe that would give the user what they want if you don't want them changing anything else on the homepage?

So you're structure might be

+Home 
     +- Some other pages
     +- UGC News
       -+- UGC News Item 1 
       -+- UGC News Item 2
       -+- UGC News Item 3 

The User Generated Content News "folder" would be a document type that only had UGC News Item" documents to be created beneath it in the structure.

You can then restrict your User start node to the UGC News page. When you render out your list of news items you could then list the children of this node.

Off topic but I find with these "folder" type documents it's nice to add a single tab & a label that provides some information like "create your items here" rather than showing the ugly general properties tab only which may be a bit confusing for the user.

• Tony Groome 261 posts 804 karma points
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 12:58
    Tony Groome

Hi John

I thought so too, as I couldn't find any other way, from looking at the user permissions, but just wanted to check in case I missed something. So the process has begun of creating a new structure!

Thanks John. :)

Tony

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft