Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Liam 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 00:07
    Liam

ImageCrops with cleaner urls (for emails)

Hello,

I have come across an interesting problem with a news website I have developed in Umbraco 7 which makes use of the builtin ImageCropper. We are using cropped images within email campaigns (content is drawn from RSS from the site) but have found that the "querystring" component of the cropped images cause them to be blocked in a number of email clients as a protection mechanism. The older ImageCropper (using the _cropname.jpg format) did not have this problem. The new cropper is fantastic but this problem just popped up out of nowhere.

Is there a way to retrieve cropped images without the use of any querystrings with the ImageCropper? Alternatively I was going to try and re-save the cropped image (on publish) with a cleaner name and reference this, but I am having difficulties finding the crop URL with the IContent type (as part of a CustomPublishedEventHandler).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 

• Dennis Aaen 4500 posts 18255 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 00:23
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Liam and welcome to our.

If I understand your question correctly, then you have a problem, with images are being blocked in your email, that you are sending out. As far as I know many email clients are blocking the images in the email by default, so the user should take a active choose to show the images.

You can in this blogpost from Litmus https://litmus.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-email-image-blocking read about the email clients blocking the images, and then there is a overview over which email clients that blocks images by default.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Liam 2 posts 22 karma points
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 02:46
    Liam

Thank you for the response Dennis. I am fairly familiar with email HTML coding and I know there are a lot of variances between clients. The issue here is the added complexity of the image URLs with the new cropper cause a lot of email clients to block them (as opposed to a normal, pre-saved image). I run the exact same process from older Umbraco systems and the images display fine. However the Umbraco 7 ImageCropper URLs (with the addition of code such as ?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=422&height=260&rnd=130650216060000000 etc) are blocked as potentially dangerous.

I think my solution will need to be to "copy" chosen crops as seperate, static images with nicer names (on ave/Publish) that can then be imported into email HTML.

Regards,

Liam.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft