Press Ctrl / CMD + C to copy this to your clipboard.
This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at
A couple of times in the last 2 days I've had a very strange issue which is seemingly random and therefore difficult to diagnose but I'm hoping someone can help.
I've been working on a prototype app as a proof of concept and therefore I've used SQL CE and the starter kit on Umbraco 7.2.1 (though I think the version I was using yesterday was 7.1.4 as the project was started a few weeks ago and then put on hold).
The issue has been both times I've been forced to upgrade Umbraco; the installation screen appears and I'm told it needs a quick upgrade. I'm firstly not convinced this is supposed to happen at all as it wouldn't be great for front end of sites to suddenly get that for obvious reasons, but if someone can confirm? Or does this happen only when using SQL CE as the assumption is made that it's a development site?
So, after I've allowed the upgrade, my front end reloads with no content, no navigation etc, as if all content has been deleted.
The trouble is I can't tell if this is what's happened because when I go to the back end I get a white screen and cannot get into the back office.
Dev tools shows there is a console error "Uncaught Error: No module: tmh.dynamicLocale" on DependencyHandler.axd and when I click the link there is an error on some function in Line 7 but it's not clear to me which function because its a concatenated file.
I can't be sure when this happened the first time on the 7.1.4 version but on this occasion I made a change to a separate project which is referenced by the Umbraco project, compiled the code change and when I refreshed the Umbraco site that's when I was forced to upgrade.
The code change I was making was simply to change a POCO to a partial class so I can't see what impact that would have - perhaps it's just coincidence and that this change had nothing to do with the forced upgrade and issue.
Perhaps there's some issue with SQL CE or the starter kit?
I'm really guessing here but if anyone can help at all I'd be much obliged.
This shows all the classics signs of an upgrade gone wrong. What probably happened is that this started as a 7.1.4 installation using NuGet and then it got manually upgraded to a newer version. If you look in your Packages folder you'll probably see both only 7.1.4 in there or maybe a combination of 7.2.1 and 7.1.4 if the upgrades got done really weirdly.
So now Visual Studio has references to all the 7.1.4 dlls, but 7.2.1 dlls have been manually copied into the bin folder. Every time you now build your VS solution ("simply to change a POCO to a partial class") VS says: great! I'll take the 7.1.4 dlls and copy them into the bin folder.
Umbraco then goes: hmm, web.config says I'm on 7.2.1 but the umbraco.dll reports my version to be 7.1.4. The version is different, so I must run the upgrade installer!
So.. to solve this (hopefully): rebuild your solution and then go to the package manager console and run: Update-Package UmbracoCms.
This should upgrade the references and 7.1.4 should now be gone from your Packages folder. If ever in the future you want to upgrade Umbraco, always run this from Visual Studio, never copy dlls into the bin folder manually.
Sorry for not being clearer about this...
Yesterday, after trying a few things including re-installing Umbraco completely from scratch into SQL Server and SQL CE on different attempts (this started life as an Umbraco web site, not app) this morning I:
Which worked up until my issue.
However.... Although I don't think there was any old references, I just tried the update command anyway to see what would happen after rebuilding the project, there were no updates available in Nuget, but when I refreshed the browser I got the install screen again.
I've ran through the upgrade again and this time all my content is back and I can get into the back-office.
So problem solved and I appreciate you looking at it - but any idea what might have caused this, given when I've said about the projects?
I hate when errors fix and I don't know why :D
Another problem could be that you're using multiple projects in visual studio (the umbraco site and a library project for example). If the library project has the UmbracoCms.Core NuGet installed with a different version than the website project, it will put the wrong version of the dlls in your bin.
You should check your packages folder and see if there's multiple versions of Umbraco in there, if so then you're likely referencing multiple versions (even if you have just 1 project, the references might still be wrong).
You are correct good sir.
In the packages folder I have folders for 7.1.4 and 7.2.1 and 7.1.8
Actually makes sense because I was too busy looking at the issues with the .Umbraco project that I didn't look to the .WebApp project which is where the issue is.
Thanks again mate and hope you're well :)
Important to note that if references were ever manually added, NuGet will not know about this so a NuGet update command will not detect that UmbracoCms needs to be updated. So also check your .csproj file for wrong references in that case.
is working on a reply...
Write your reply to:
Image will be uploaded when post is submitted