Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• stephanie 52 posts 133 karma points
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 16:43
    stephanie

7.1.8 In a web garden?

I just had a very unpleasant experience of having a big traffic spike on my site. It's running on a vps. We added a total of 10 cores, and the cpu was still pegged. Host had the bright idea of going to 10 worder processes, and wow, what a difference that made.

What are the issues with running in a garden? We only use Umbraco like a blog/news site. There's no users other than admin for accessing the backend. There's no other interactivity. Is there any way to run this as a garden successfully?

Thanks!!

Stephanie

• Jeavon Leopold 3072 posts 13628 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 16:56
    Jeavon Leopold

Hi Stephanie,

I'm not sure myself but it has been discussed before here. You could also consider load balancing for which there is documentation here.

Jeavon

• stephanie 52 posts 133 karma points
    Jan 12, 2015 @ 17:06
    stephanie

Yes, I knew it had been discussed. I was wondering if there was anything new. Since the site typically does not have much of a load, I'm considering just moving to multiple worker processes during times of heavy load (and not updating the site), then going back to one process when we either need to update, or when the storm has passed. I'm looking into cdn's that claim to serve dynamic content to see if this is a cost effective solution. The site is typically updated once or twice a day, so caching is very practical. Load balancing doesn't seem like a good solution for a site that typically doesn't need that type of capacity. But any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Thanks!

Stephanie

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft