Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Keith Jackson 183 posts 552 karma points
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:09
    Keith Jackson

Site Hosed after 7.2.1 update - Cannot perform runtime binding on a null reference and content missing in front end

I've upgraded yesterday from 7.1.8 to 7.2.1 it was OK for a while and today my entire site is completely hosed. Oddly it seemed to work for a while (I hadn't done a full publish) then I started getting loads of 'Cannot perform runtime binding on a null reference' errors and content changes I made yesterday seem to be broken. It was then I noticed that the template drop downs no longer worked. They just show [Object object].

I upgraded using nuget. I don't use any 3rd party packages.

Has anyone else had anything like this - how can I recover or am I completely scr*d? This is an in development build of my own corporate site so rolling back to a working point could take days.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Keith

That's really unfortunate indeeed. But it's always a good idea to do a backup of the database and the files before doing any backups.

However...did you change anything else apart from upgrading? Have you tried double checking the the /config/ files have been merged? It might also be worth to try and copy over the /bin, /umbraco and /umbraco_client folders again.

Also try clearing the /App_Data/TEMP/ files and go to the /config/ClientDependency.config file and increment the version number attribute.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:20
    Keith Jackson

I'm not sure what I need to do with all of this as all my updates are managed by nuget. I just let the config files replace with the new ones during the upgrade as I hadn't added any customisation to them at all. The Umbraco and umbraco-client folders are added by the nuget packages I believe.

I've been working on loads to do with the site but just little bits and pieces.

I'll check the other two elements you suggest.

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:31
    Keith Jackson

Hi Jan,

Thanks anyway but no joy clearing out those files and incrementing the ClientDependency.config.

I did take a backup but, as everything initially seemed to be fine I'd since done another backup which overrode it so I'd have to go back to the previous days backup (hence pain).

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:31
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Keith

I know nuget updates those folders but I have seen other people having issues after upgrading using nuget where they did overwrite those folders manually just to make sure that nuget did not miss something. In some cases some files are missed for some reason and then it can help to take this approach even though it should just work.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:35
    Keith Jackson

Where do I get the contents of these folders from? Should I download a manual installer?

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Keith

You can always find a downloadable version from the "Download" section - Here is the latest stable release http://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/721

The documentation on updrading might also come in handy http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:43
    Keith Jackson

I'll give that a try, thanks.

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:53
    Keith Jackson

No joy on the folders, but a former colleague of mine suggested deleting umbraco.config in App_Data and recycling the app pool and the front end now looks fine. Sohuld have thought of that first. My Umbraco is a bit rusty!

My backend still has the '[Object object]' problem in the Template selection dropdown list however. I'm not sure how serious that is yet though so I'll do some testing.

Jan 14, 2015 @ 14:58
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Keith

Yeah app pool recycle is always good - I should have mentioned that above as well. But next time try to clear the temp files as I mentioned and increment that version number as well, and then recycle the app pool. It's a neat trick sometimes :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft