Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Brian 77 posts 251 karma points
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 10:02
    Brian

Gmail SMTP Settings Ver 7.2

Hi guys,

I have seen quite afew articles on the above but none for version 7.  Does anybody know what the correct settings should be for routing email through gmail?  For info I have a business account so the email address is a personal address rather than a gmail one.

Here is my code:

<smtp from=“[email protected]”>
    <network host="smtp.gmail.com"
    userName=“[email protected]"
    password=“pwdhere” port="465" defaultCredentials="false" enableSsl="true" />
    </smtp>

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 10:06
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Brian

Are you experiencing any issues with the above setup? At a first glance looks right to me - But I'm thinking that you perhaps need to setup the from email in the /config/umbracoSettings.config

/Jan

Jan 23, 2015 @ 10:13
    Brian

Hi Jan,

Thanks for confirming so quickly. 

In my umbraco settings I have the following:

<notifications>
    <!-- the email that should be used as from mail when umbraco sends a notification -->
    <email>[email protected]</email>
    </notifications>

The reason we need it is because we have a team of contributors around the country and they are writing article remotely with one central administrator publishing the articles.  When I tested just now with a test 'send to publish' I didn't receive an email to confirm something had been written.

Have I missed something daft?

Thanks.

Jan 23, 2015 @ 10:16
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Brian

Try checking the /App_Data/Logs file to see if it reveals any related info. Usually it appears in there if something is not working when trying to send e-mails.

And if you're not using it already you should try to use http://smtp4dev.codeplex.com/ - It can make it easier to do e-mail testing when sending.

/Jan

Jan 23, 2015 @ 10:26
    Brian

Thanks again Jan.

Couldn't see anything of use in the logs, I have an ongoing issue with this site and memory leaks as well so I'm wondering if my hosting company have got a couple of settings wrong on the server..

Thanks anyway.

P.S.  will mark as a solution for other forum members to say that the Gmail settings for ver 7 were correct but will note that my emails are still not working at this point in time.

Jan 23, 2015 @ 10:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Brian

Ok, the issue could perhaps also be that the mails are ending up in a cue somewhere then so it's a good idea to get in touch with the hosting company.

Does it work if you try locally?

/Jan

• Jesper Ordrup 1019 posts 1528 karma points MVP
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 12:28
    Jesper Ordrup

I really recommend changing smtp provider to something with a log for everything mailed from websites/services. 

Try sendgrid.com. 

best
    Jesper 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft