Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Michal Koblasa 45 posts 139 karma points
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 14:26
    Michal Koblasa

Deployment umbraco 7.2 - content grid editor issue

Hello,

we have a problem with deployed site, the content from grid editor does not showing. During development we have shared DB and localy versioned files, problem is on deployed server, where is copy of repo and the same shared DB.

With this command, we have empty content displayed: 

@CurrentPage.GetGridHtml("content")

With this command, we see pure grid editor JSON from database:

@Umbraco.Field("content")

Is there any other grid editor cache, which needs to be moved to server or refreshed? Thank you for ay advices.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 14:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Michal

What steps did you take in your deploy? Is it a first time deploy on a fresh site or is it a site that has been running and then been deployed to after upgrading to 7.2.1 for instance?

Since the DB is shared I suspect you need to go to "CONTENT" and right click and then choose "Republish entire site" though in order to republish the XML cache.

Otherwise you may also need to increment the version attribute in the /config/ClientDependency.config file in order to clear the backoffice cache.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

/Jan

Jan 23, 2015 @ 15:46
    Michal Koblasa

Hello,

it is brand new site. But during development we updated from 7.2 beta to 7.2.1 release.

Deploy was only copy source files without App_Data folder, even for now web.config is same. We used MS Visual studio publish profile - simple ftp publish. 

Yes, we applied the republish of entire site:

/Umbraco/dialogs/republish.aspx?refreshNodes=X

We deleted all files nad copied all files with different FTP client and all was done fine. So problem is solved.

So problem was in maybe missing files or badly uploaded (i do not know).

How are you doing umbraco publish? Is there any recommended way?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 16:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Michal

Ok, good to hear you managed to get the issue solved.

Well when you're using the same database on local and live I think FTP is a fine approach. But there is of course a risk of overwriting folders on the live environment that you don't want to overwrite.

But when sharing the database you will always need to use the republish entire site option to refresh the XML cache if you have made local content change, which should also appear on the live environment.

But after upgrading it's sometimes necessary to clear the backoffice cache by incrementing the version attribute in the clientdependency.config file for instance. In order to complete the upgrade within your setup you will of course also need to copy over the /bin, /umbraco, /umbraco_client and merge the files in the /config folder as well in order to complete the upgrade on the live environment.

There is many different deployment strategies and I think it depends on what works for you and your project. If you for instance used a dev database and a production database then using Courier would be a nice tool for deploying or the free Umport package perhaps. But Courier is more advanced than Umport and developed by HQ.

Once "Umbraco.com / Umbraco as a service" is ready deploying between environments will be a lot easier and it will be easier to rollback to a previous version in case something unexpected happens.

I know this is not as detailed as it could be but I hope it's enough to get you going if you want to change the way you're deploying the site.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Jan 23, 2015 @ 22:00
    Michal Koblasa

Hello Jan,

thank you for exhaustive answer. Your answer provided me great overview of posibilities and obstacles. 

Thank you again.

M.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft