Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Anton 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 25, 2015 @ 00:16
    Anton

Evaluating html static page to hook up with Umbraco

Hello all, 

I an newbie to Umbraco and I am  still trying to understand how things work here. I'll gladly pay for live lesson from one of you guys that can help me understand my diffuculties ASAP. 

I'm trying to hook up a design that I downloaded with Umbraco. In a previous post I was recomended with the following wonderfull guide (http://24days.in/umbraco/2014/how-to-set-up-an-umbraco-site/), but I still have some gaps. 

The first one is how to evaluate the design and break it into sections. The second one is to understand the razor part. And least, how to make it all actually work. 

Thanks all. 

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Jan 25, 2015 @ 05:46
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Anton

Have you also read this guide as I suggested yesterday? :) http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Using-Umbraco/Creating-Basic-Site/

I think that after reading and understanding the article Blake wrote that reading this next will perhaps fill in some of the gaps.

And there is also Umbraco.tv of course as I also mentioned.

But otherwise I'm sure you can find someone who will help you if you don't have the time to get up to speed doing it yourself :)

/Jan

• Anton 5 posts 25 karma points
    Jan 25, 2015 @ 07:59
    Anton

Hi Jan, 

thank you again for your reply. I have an asignment to attach a design to Umbraco, so that the user can use the CMS to edit content. Therefore, the first guide you gave me is exactly what I need. The second one explains how create a site from scratch, and not how to hook up with an existing design, so it doesn't quite fit my needs. 

It is very important that I will not only technically know how to do this "hooking up design", but also understand what am I doing so I can perform my asignment on my own after practicing the example. 

I do have some specific questions, about the tutorial tou gave me, that will help me understand. If you, or anyone else could answer them, I would be grateful.

1. In the tutorial, the writer divides the design into sections. Each of these sections is a part (or segment) of the main page. My question is: what do I sopose to make of these sections? At first I thought that section needs to become a document type, but as I understand it – document type is not a segment of a page, but a whole page by itself. Am I right? If so, what are these sections? Are they the partial views? And what partial view actually is? 

2. A quote from the tutorial: "you will see that we have set up five sections. For the Home Section we can set this up as a Home Document Type and combine our Footer Section into the same document type. " Here it says that for each section we have to create a document type. Again, I don't understand why document type, that is a whole page unit, when the actual section in only a segment from the whole page. Lastly in this quote, it says that we can combine the Home and Footer document types into the same document type. Why is that? We can see that their properties are not much alike.

3. What determines the layout of the homepage? In the full design, there are five sections – home, folio, etc – how do I set them? How do you add a section? How do you set the layout inside the section? How do you set the order of the sections?

Thanks alot in advanse. 

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft