Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Clickfarm 77 posts 161 karma points
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 17:16
    Clickfarm

collection of pages by document type

hi, i've been searching and searching, someone please point me in the right direction...

in my razor template, i need to be able to get a list of pages for a specific document type and to be able to loop through them and access their properties.  Please give me an example of how to do this with version 7.2.1. 

I was able to get a list using this:

var articles = Model.Content.Parent.Children.Where(p => p.ContentType.Alias == "ProjectArticle").OrderByDescending(p => p.CreateDate).Take(8);

but i have no clue how to access the properties for each item, nor do i have any idea if this is the current/proper way to get a collection of pages in the view.
    please point me to an example of how to do this with the current version of umbraco

thanks,

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 17:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Matt

You should be able to loop over the articles like this, if the above selection returns anything of course.

@foreach (article in articles){
       <h1>article.propertyName1</h1>
       <p>article.propertyName2</p>
    }

Does that work?

/Jan

Jan 26, 2015 @ 18:01
    Clickfarm

Hi Jan,

the collection does in fact have items in it, but when i try to do what you mentioned i get this error:

@foreach (var article in articles)
    {
         @article.productLine

'Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent' does not contain a definition for 'productLine' and no extension method 'productLine' accepting a first argument of type 'Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 18:02
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Matt,

I think that you should be able to do something like this.

@{  

var articles =Model.Content.Parent.Children.Where(p => p.ContentType.Alias=="ProjectArticle").OrderByDescending(p => p.CreateDate).Take(8);

<ul>
            @
    foreach(var article in articles.Where(x => x.IsVisible()){

<li>

@article.Name

</li>
            }
        </
    ul>
    }

And if you have a custom property you can access it by article.PropertyAlias. Try to see this documentation too for an for each loop. http://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Querying/UmbracoHelper/#TypedContent%28intid%29

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jan 26, 2015 @ 18:05
    Clickfarm

Hi Dennis,

See my previous reply, when i try to access item.propertyAlias I get an error.

Jan 26, 2015 @ 18:44
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Matt,

Did you just get the same error if you try to use the item.Name, what I am trying to find out, is why you are getting this. Is it because that you access a wrong propertyAlias perhaps,

What if you do this, then you should get the name of the item.

@{  

var articles =Model.Content.Parent.Children.Where(p => p.ContentType.Alias=="ProjectArticle").OrderByDescending(p => p.CreateDate).Take(8);

<ul>

@
    foreach(var item in articles.Where(x => x.IsVisible()){

<li>

@item.Name

</li>
            }
        </
    ul>
    }

Looking forward to hear from you.

/Dennis

Jan 26, 2015 @ 19:04
    Clickfarm

@item.Name works, but none of the property aliases work, they all give the above error. this is what's available to me at runtime:

Jan 26, 2015 @ 19:39
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Matt,

A light just went straight to me. You are using strongly typed Razor so what if you do something like this.

@{  

var articles = Model.Content.Parent.Children.Where(p => p.ContentType.Alias=="ProjectArticle").OrderByDescending(p => p.CreateDate).Take(8);

<ul>

@foreach(var item in articles.Where(x => x.IsVisible()){

<li>

@item.GetPropertyValue("ProductLine")

</li>
            }
        </
    ul>
    }

And you can add the return value. it could be a string like this:

@item.GetPropertyValue<string>("ProductLine")

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Jan 26, 2015 @ 20:00
    Clickfarm

thanks for your help, but my object doesn't even have access to the .GetPropertyValue method. when i try to use it i get the following error:

'Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent' does not contain a definition for 'GetPropertyValue' and no extension method 'GetPropertyValue' accepting a first argument of type 'Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent' could be found

am i missing something else? is there a "using" statement or something else i'm missing? it really shouldn't be this hard for me to just get access to a collection of pages and their properties

Jan 26, 2015 @ 20:07
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Matt,

Is it possible for you to share the whole file of code that you have. Then I think it eaiser for people to see what is going on, and come up with some ideas of what can be wrong since you can access custom properties.

/Dennis

Jan 26, 2015 @ 20:13
    Clickfarm

i've tried with a template as simple as this:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Mvc.UmbracoTemplatePage

@{  

var articles = Model.Content.Parent.Children.Where(p => p.ContentType.Alias=="ProjectArticle").OrderByDescending(p => p.CreateDate).Take(8);

@foreach(var item in articles.Where(x => x.IsVisible())){ 

@item.GetPropertyValue("ProductLine")

}

}

but even this code gives me an error:
     'Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent' does not contain a definition for 'IsVisible' and no extension method 'IsVisible' accepting a first argument of type 'Umbraco.Core.Models.IPublishedContent' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 20:15
    Clickfarm

is this supposed to be a collection of IPublishedContent? Because it looks like that object does NOT have the IsVisible or GetPropertyValue methods/properties.

Jan 26, 2015 @ 20:21
    Clickfarm

figured it out... was missing a "using" statement as i had thought might be the issue.

if i add:

@using Umbraco.Web;

then GetPropertyValue("productLine") is available to me.

I really wish there was clearer documentation for how to do this. I saw nothing that tells me to include that using statement. oh well, moving on! :)

thanks for your help.

Jan 26, 2015 @ 20:34
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Matt,

Good to hear that you found a solution, and can move on with your Umbraco project.

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft