Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Phil 54 posts 139 karma points
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 16:06
    Phil

Default value of drop down list property on document type

Hi all,

Experiencing some strange behavior here on 7.2.0.

I have a drop down list property attached to a document type. This property is not mandatory.

However, if I don't select a prevalue from the drop down list when creating content (leaving the drop down list blank), then the property value is set to "23". Is this normal behavior? I was expecting either a blank string, or a null value!

Many thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 16:17
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phil

Could you show a screendump of what it looks like in your backoffice? It should just return a falsy value like empty, 0, null for instance I think.

/Jan

Jan 29, 2015 @ 16:22
    Phil

Jan,

I have discovered that the drop down property was actually mandatory - changing the property to non-mandatory returns an empty string as I expected.

However, when creating the content with the property set to mandatory, I was able to successfully create without setting a value. This is no longer the case - when I change to property back to mandatory, I cannot create content without selecting from the drop down (as expected!)

Very unusual, but seems to have resolved itself! :)

Jan 29, 2015 @ 16:43
    Phil

Jan,

As a somewhat related problem, I am attempting to get all nodes where the value of the drop down list property is equal to a certain string, or has not been specified:

var nodeList = CurrentPage.AncestorOrSelf(1).Descendants("myDocumentType")
        .Where("property = @0 || property = @1", "value", "");

However, this always returns nothing. What is the best way to go about this?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Jan 29, 2015 @ 18:01
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Phil

Well that's probably because you're asking for those "myDocumentType" aliases where the value is either "value" or empty.

I think that you should instead be able to do this

var nodeList CurrentPage.AncestorOrSelf(1).Descendants("myDocumentType");

@foreach(var node in nodeList){

if(!string.IsNullOrEmpty(node.ToString())){
         @node
      }

}

Does this work?

/Jan

Jan 30, 2015 @ 09:47
    Phil

Jan,

I don't think that that will achieve what I am after - let's say that I have a document type called Blog, which has three properties:

• Title textstring
    • Category dropdownlist
    • Body RTE

I am attempting to create a paged list of blogs, so I need to extract all blogs into a variable before displaying so that I can evaluate the count.

However, in the list of blogs, I would like to show blogs where the category is equal to "Tutorial" or the category has not been selected.

How would I be able to select a list of blogs that have a category of "Tutorial" or a category of ""?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft