Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martin 81 posts 246 karma points
    Feb 03, 2015 @ 15:20
    Martin

Multilingual site - permanent redirect?

Hi guys,

I have created a multilingual site using the multi-node architecture where underneath my root node I have a 'EN' node which contains the site pages. In the future we will probably add 'FR' or 'DE' nodes for France and Germany but at present there is only the 'EN' node.

I have used the umbracoRedirect property to redirect the root node to the 'EN' node but I understand this is a temporary 302 redirect. My first question is should this be a permanent 301 redirect and if so, how do I go about making it a permanent redirect.

Cheers, Martin

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 03, 2015 @ 16:14
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Martin,

For 301 redirects, I would recommend you to take a look at the 301 URL tracker package http://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/301-url-tracker from Stefan

This package is used to manage URLs within umbraco. It automatically tracks URL changes, for instance when a node is renamed, and makes sure the old URL will redirect to the new location. This is great for SEO and great for people visiting your website via this old URL. Search engines will update the indexed URL and people won't visit the old, broken URL.

You can also create your own redirects, based on a simple URL or using a Regex pattern. You can redirect to an existing node or a manually entered URL.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Feb 03, 2015 @ 16:26
    Jeroen Breuer

Not entirely related, but maybe good to know. If you have 3 nodes for languages:

- Website
    - EN
    - DE
    - FR

You can set a domain on the EN called website.com. On the DE and FR website you can set a domain called website.com/de and website.com/fr. That way the default language has better SEO because it starts on the website.com domain. All nodes are at the same level in the tree, but the DE and FR website have an extra segment in the url which makes it easier to maintain.

Jeroen

Feb 03, 2015 @ 17:23
    Martin

Hi Jeroen,

I like that solution! So I just want to clarify, website.com is better for SEO than website.com/en?

So the root node will still contain a temporary redirect to the 'EN' node or is this no longer necessary?

Martin

Feb 03, 2015 @ 17:28
    Jeroen Breuer

I'm not a SEO expert but some colleagues told me it's better. The root node could do an internal redirect. More info here: https://cultiv.nl/blog/umbraco-tip-of-the-week-redirects/

Jeroen 

Feb 03, 2015 @ 17:30
    Jeroen Breuer

I'm sorry the root node won't need a redirect anymore because the domain is added to the EN node so Umbraco will start from there when visiting that domain.

Jeroen

Feb 03, 2015 @ 17:32
    Jeroen Breuer

So just do

- Website
    -- En -> Domain website.com
    -- DE -> Domain website.com/de
    -- FR -> Domain website.com/fr

Than it should work. No redirects needed.

Jeroen 

Feb 03, 2015 @ 18:27
    Martin

Sweet, thanks Jeroen :)

Feb 03, 2015 @ 18:31
    Jeroen Breuer

Glad I could help. Could you please mark the post as the solution.

Jeroen

Feb 29, 2016 @ 09:16
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

I've created an example which uses 1-1 multilingual. So a single node can have different URLs per language.

You can find more info here: https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/1-1-multilingual-example/

Jeroen

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft