Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Shahid Hafiz 9 posts 29 karma points
    Feb 04, 2015 @ 16:08
    Shahid Hafiz

Accessing the grid layout content programmatically

Hi, I am using a grid layout datatype (from the default fano template). As the structure of the page is now determined by the editor, how do I as a programmer retrieve specific parts of the page content programmatically. Eg. My client has a news page with multiple rich text editors in the grid. I need to extract the leader text and display it on a summary page elsewhere.

Any help much appreciated.

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Feb 04, 2015 @ 20:16
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Shahid,

At the moment it is not possible for you to take a chunk of the content from a grid editor. The grid is also the first draft of it since it was introduced in Umbraco 7.2. I have no information if this will be possible in a later versions of Umbraco.

But if you see the best practices for the grid layout there is a section about limitations for the grid layout. http://our.umbraco.org/Documentation/Using-Umbraco/Backoffice-Overview/Property-Editors/Built-in-Property-Editors-v7/Grid-Layout-Best-Practices

In the section you can see one of the limitations is that - There is no managed api to drill into the grid content and target specific cell content - so a grid layout is not a recommended storage of reusable content.

/Dennis

• Jason D 66 posts 218 karma points
    Feb 08, 2022 @ 15:09
    Jason D

I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if Umbraco 8.17+ still doesn't have a way to target a grid cell(s)? For example, we have an RSS Feed and one of the right cells has an email sign-up that we don't want to display in the feed...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft