Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leon 101 posts 489 karma points
    Feb 04, 2015 @ 17:05
    Leon

Preview Mode different to actual page

Help!

Copied my site from dev to "test" environment. Now the pages are not at all the same as in the designer:

Design looks like this:

Designer:

Preview and Actual page looks like this:

Preview

Any ideas as to what I've done wrong? Need to demo it to my boss later .

Leon

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Feb 04, 2015 @ 17:14
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

Did you remember to copy over the CSS files for the frontend facing website as well? If you open your browsers console log you will probably see some error 404 referencing the path where the CSS was expected to be found.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 04, 2015 @ 18:00
    Leon

Hi Jan.

Thanks for that. I believe Your solution has led me on the right path to solving some of the problem.

I forgot to include the "optimus" plugin in my deployment, so the bundler didn't work properly. I've since then stopped using the bundler for now.

However, I have a different problem now. The preview and actual page is still not the same as the design view (although it looks totally different than before), but when I try and save / publish the page, I get a "red" error. The event viewer log show a "4011 unhandled access exception" and I don't know how to fix that. Any ideas?

enter image description here

Feb 04, 2015 @ 18:42
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

Ok, how are you doing your deploy? You must be missing some more files I guess - You can check the logs in /App_Data/Logs to see if they reveal more useful information as well.

/Jan

Feb 04, 2015 @ 19:16
    Leon

Hi Jan.

Thanks for that.

I'm one step closer. I granted access to IIS APPPOOL and now I can save and publish, however, the design and preview is as it was before (completely different). Logs show 404 errors from the server side (not in browser logs).

The way I'm doing my deploy: The "test" environment is pointing to the same database as "dev". All I did was a deploy to the test server (web config still pointing to the same db).

However, I'm not going to do it like that any more because it's too easy to do things on one of the environments forgetting that it will effect the other one.

Do you know the recommended way of deploying an Umbraco project. Is it good to use "usync"?

Leon.

Feb 04, 2015 @ 19:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

Ok, so it sounds like you're just about to setup the server as well?

Well choosing the right deployment strategy depends on the size of your project I guess. You can use usync for syncing the environments as long as you're doing development (It's not intended for production use as far as I recall).

You can also use Courier, which is Umbraco's own product for deploying between environments. This however is not open source but it might be worth the money depending on the type of project you're doing.

Another option to explore is Umport, which is a 3rd party package like usync.

But deploying using FTP, when running the same DB locally and on the server, for instance can also be an option depending on how you prefer to do things. It's just important to know, which files needs to be overwritten and which one that can be left out. For instance you don't want to deploy the /AppData/Logs and /AppData/TEMP folders usually.

Also be aware that you need to refresh the XML cache on the server when you have created content on the local site - Then on the server you need to go to the "CONTENT" node in the "Content" section on the server and choose "Republish entire site". This will update the /App_Data/umbraco.config file so all the nodes appear on the website when displayed on the server. The same goes the other way around if you have created nodes on the server that does not appear locally for instance.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 05, 2015 @ 15:20
    Leon

Hi Jan.

Thanks for all your help. I wish it was a bit more straight forward - like being able to generate a sql script and copy over all the files. Maybe when I become very good with Umbraco I can write a package that will do that :-)

I tried something else which seemed to work... I created a new umbraco project with nothing in it on the "test" server. Then I did the usual setup and pointed it to a brand new database. I then installed the uSync package and copied my uSync folder over from dev to test. That seemed to work quite well.

I still had 404 errors so manually had to copy over a few .css files. I think that is probably an acceptable way of deploying. Thanks for your help.

Leon

Feb 05, 2015 @ 21:29
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

Ah yes, you can indeed also script the database, I forgot to mention that in my description above. But it can be cumbersome to do so. I think that's a thing you do initially and afterwards you use some of the packages mentioned above or create new document types, properties etc. manually. Because if you script the database from a local instance after a few changes has been made and then import it on the live server the content created on the live server will be replaced with the content from the local site, which is not good :)

Ok, happy to hear you managed to figure out an approach. Usually it should not be harder than simply copying over the whole site initially to the server and then create an IIS site making sure that the proper rights has been setup to the appropiate users (network service and iusr) and then import the scripted database from local.

Afterwards it's another process of updating the database using usync for instance and copying over changed files manually or using usync/umport or courier as well.

Happy umbracoing :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft