Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Danny Leech 36 posts 114 karma points
    Feb 06, 2015 @ 18:46
    Danny Leech

Error when sorting nodes in back office

Hi, I have just moved my dev site to shared hosting and I'm getting a Server 500 error at http://sitename/umbraco/webservices/nodesorter.asmx/js when clicking the sort node option from the node menu.

If I browse to the ~nodesorter.asmx/js url directly I get the following detailed error...

Any thoughts on what could be causing this as all files and folders currently have full '777' permission.

Thanks in advance, Danny

HTTP Error 500.19 - Internal Server Error

The requested page cannot be accessed because the related configuration data for the page is invalid.

Detailed Error Information:

Module    IIS Web Core
    Notification    BeginRequest
    Handler    Not yet determined
    Error Code    0x8007010b
    Config Error    Cannot read configuration file
    Config File    ~sitename\public_html\umbraco\webservices\nodesorter.asmx\js\web.config
    Requested URL    http://sitename:80/umbraco/webservices/nodesorter.asmx/js
    Physical Path    ~sitename\public_html\umbraco\webservices\nodesorter.asmx\js
    Logon Method    Not yet determined
    Logon User    Not yet determined

Config Source:

-1: 
        0: 

More Information:

This error occurs when there is a problem reading the configuration file for the Web server or Web application. In some cases, the event logs may contain more information about what caused this error. 

View more information ยป

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2015 @ 18:56
    Jan Skovgaard

HI Danny

What exact version of Umbraco are you using? And is it working fine locally? If so it might be worth double checking that permissions have been set properly and inherited correctly.

/Jan

Feb 06, 2015 @ 18:59
    Danny Leech

Thanks for such a quick response! I'm using 7.2.1 and I have currently set all files and folders to 777 on my shared host and yes, my local dev version is working fine. Is there anywhere in particular I should double check though as ...nodesorter.asmx\js\web.config isn't a physicall path on the server.

Thanks, Danny

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 06, 2015 @ 19:37
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Danny

You're welcome :)

Hmm, ok then it's really weird...does the server fullfill the requirements for running Umbraco? Not quite sure what is causing it.

A long shot worth trying out could be to clear the /App_Data/TEMP/ folder and then also clearing the Umbraco backoffice cache by going to /config/ClientDependency.config and increment the version number attribute and then recycle the app pool.

I don't think it's the issue but it's worth trying so it can be ruled out at least.

/Jan

Feb 16, 2015 @ 18:04
    Danny Leech

Hi Jan, thanks for the advice but unfortunately no luck. The following post suggests that it could be something to do with the application pool permissions? I've raised a support ticket with my host though so hopefully they can look into this.

Cheers, Danny

Mar 03, 2015 @ 18:02
    Danny Leech

Hi Jan,

Unfortunately it doesnt look like a permissions issue... the server has .NET 4.5 and runs in full trust. All files and folders have the app pool user set to full control. All other parts of umbraco work fine, its just the webservices that don't work?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Danny

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2015 @ 18:05
    Dave Woestenborghs

Do you have the /umbraco/webservices folder on your server ? And this file nodesorter.asmx present in that ?

Dave

Mar 03, 2015 @ 18:08
    Danny Leech

Thanks Dave, yes they are both there and have the correct permissions. I've tried several clean installs and all produce the same error too... I'm thinking there must be an additinoal server requirement that I'm not aware of?

Cheers,

Danny

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12133 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 03, 2015 @ 18:14
    Dave Woestenborghs

Do you have this also when you run Umbraco locally ? Because than it seems a config issue on the hosting side.

dave

Mar 05, 2015 @ 16:08
    Danny Leech

Hi Dave, no it all works fine locally

Danny 

Mar 05, 2015 @ 16:11
    Danny Leech

Also nodesorter.asmx/js is the only script service that triggers this error. Others such as publication.asmx/js work ok... ??

Danny

Mar 05, 2015 @ 17:03
    Danny Leech

I can confirm that it is a case sensitivity issue on the server. Unfortunately I doubt my host will be able to change this as its a shared platform. In the meantime though I've done the unthinkable and edited the sort.asmx webservice call so that it is lowercase and changed the nodeSorter.asmx filename to lower case so its all working now. I assume the switching of cases is by design but if not then perhaps I should raise as a bug? I'll wait for advise from a member of the core team though

Thanks Dave and Jan for your help, much appreciated!

Danny

• William Charlton 171 posts 218 karma points
    Jul 31, 2015 @ 13:27
    William Charlton

Danny,

It sounds like I have exactly the same problem.

You say you "edited the sort.asmx webservice call", how did you achieve that?

Thanks in advance.

William

• William Charlton 171 posts 218 karma points
    Jul 31, 2015 @ 15:22
Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft