Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• P@010 10 posts 52 karma points
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 10:38
    P@010

customizing users with extra props and a forgotten password feature

I am developing a company website which needs to allow all staff to create certain pages (eg blog posts) and have them approved by a manager. Given that this is all there out of the box for Users, I thought this would be the way to go. I need to be able to create a directory of Users and a page for each with their info and a list of their blog posts which again seems perfectly doable. I also have the following requirements:

1) Store additional info against the User such as Twitter handle.

This looks easy with Members but less so with Users. Ideally I would like admins to enter all user information on the same screen but I haven't worked out a way to do this. Is this possible / how would I do this?

2) There needs to be forgotten password functionality for Users (to retrieve themselves rather than via an admin). Can I add this in to the admin site? I would need to add a link to the login page and then a couple of new pages. Assuming I can customize the built-in angular etc., not sure if this is a great idea and how Umbraco updates will affect it.

Thanks

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 12:29
    Sören Deger

Hi P@010,

Unfortunately, this is currently not possible out of the box. If you use additional infos for users I'd suggest the following:

1. Create a custom table in umbraco database to save the additional informations and relate them with the umbraco users. You can use PetaPoco to do this (http://bit.ly/1IKf6lW)

2. Create a custom section and custom property editor with angularJS to add/edit the additional informations in custom table.

This may be a solution.

Hope this helps,

Sören

• P@010 10 posts 52 karma points
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 14:56
    P@010

Ah. Was fearing that might be the case. So am I right in thinking that it would need to work like the following:

1) Use the standard UI to create a user.

2) Navigate to a custom section and maybe find the user in a tree and then add additional properties there.

And when I need to retrieve a list of users, one query to pull the standard User info plus one (hopefully one rather than one per user) more query to query the other table?

Also, an thoughts on forgotten password functionality for users. Is it bad practice to change stuff in the umbraco folder / is there another way to change the user login screen?

• Sören Deger 733 posts 2844 karma points c-trib
    Feb 10, 2015 @ 15:00
    Sören Deger

Yes, you're right in thinking :-)

You can change everything in umbraco folder that you need. Umbraco 7 is with angularJS very flexible. I have no other idea to change the user login screen. But maybe someone else from the community has an idea for this?

Best,

Sören

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft