Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Mark 255 posts 612 karma points
    Feb 12, 2015 @ 15:56
    Mark

Media item deletions - do they ever cause file to be removed from the file system?

Umbraco 7.2.1

I've tried deleting a media item of type "Image" from the Media section. When I look in the media folder on the file system, I see the file and it's containing folder are still there.

I get the same result when I use MediaService.Delete(IMedia media, int userId = 0).

So, my question is, are the file system files and folders that are saved into the "/media" folder ever deleted?

Ideally I would like to know in what situations file system files and folders are deleted, and in what situations they are not.

• Alex Skrypnyk 6148 posts 24077 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Feb 13, 2015 @ 15:55
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Mark,

This is the default Umbraco behavior unfortunately. To remove the file you have to click the "remove file" checkbox and Save before you actually delete the node. Another way is to create event handler which will works at node deleting event and will remove file from disk.

Also Umbraco has some packages that do some cleaning of media folder. For example : https://our.umbraco.org/projects/backoffice-extensions/falm-housekeeping

Thanks, Alexander

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft