Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Rohan 105 posts 162 karma points
    Feb 14, 2015 @ 09:31
    Rohan

dynamically add content without modifying Settings -> Template && Document Type

Hi

I am working on one website build on Umbraco 7.1.6.

I have one page FAQ (Frequently aksed question). On the page right now there is only 3 Questions / answers. So in "Settings -> Template -> FAQ" , we have FIX HTML Tags for those 3 question && answer (div tags). Based on it I have defined some properties on "Settings -> Document Type -> FAQ" for add / edit question && answer from Umbraco Content itself and call that properties on TEMPLATE. So user can log in to Umbraco backoffice and add / edit it.

Now, User told me it may be possible that they have more than 3 question in future. So how they can set up it on CMS Content ?

I am newbie to Umbraco. So i have told that we need to MANUALLY update the "Settings -> Template -> FAQ" and will add HTML Tags (div tags) for additional question && answer. 

So my question is that is there any way we can dynamically add the Content from CMS without modifying HTML Template and defining Properties on document type for additional question && answer ?

Thanks in advance !

Rohan Dave

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2015 @ 11:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Rohan

You should consider using a document type for this. A document type, which does not have a template but is more of a content element.

In the root of your Umbraco installation you can create a content repository of content elements, which you can then refer to on your content pages under you "homepage" root using either a content picker property on the page or a multiple node picker.

So in your "Document types" section you can create a "FAQ folder" document type, which is allowed as a root node. Then you can create a "FAQ" document type, which is allowed under "FAQ folder" and on the "FAQ" document type you can have "question" and "answer" textboxes.

Once the "FAQ folder" has been created on the same level as your "Homepage" node then you can remove the "Allow at root" setting on the document types since you only want it to be created once. Now you can create FAQ content elements under your "FAQ folder".

Now on your pages you just need to setup a picker so you can render the FAQ entries on the page using Razor for instance.

Hope this makes sense :)

/Jan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 14, 2015 @ 11:25
    Jan Skovgaard

This way the FAQ's don't need to be manually hardcoded in the templates and the client can add as many FAQ entries as they would like without having to call you every time.

/Jan

• Martin 114 posts 313 karma points
    Feb 14, 2015 @ 21:51
    Martin

Just a hint, think of your FAQ page as a News page, and if you search for News and Umbraco, you will find a lot for examples.

Good luck!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft