Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Jay 49 posts 211 karma points
    Feb 16, 2015 @ 10:22
    Jay

Multiple Input Types For Single Property

Dear Umbracians,

Does Umbraco in any way support combining multiple property input types into a single property?

I want my users to be able to select whether or not a form input element (such as first name, last name, etc.) will be displayed (checkbox) and what it's header label (textbox) is.

It would be so nice if I could create a single tab (Form Settings) with a single property for each form element (first name, last name, etc.), all of which would have both a checkbox as well as a textbox.

Now I have to divide these settings over two tabs. I'd love to have them on one tab.

Is this possible?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 16, 2015 @ 10:24
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jay

Not quite sure that I understand your question...

Do you currently have some form settings split up on two tabs on a document type that you now want to have merged into being just one tab with all the setting properties? Or am I misunderstanding you?

/Jan

Feb 16, 2015 @ 12:08
    Jay

Hi Jan,

I now have 2 tabs with regards to form settings.

Form Element Display Tab: FirstName: [checkbox that determines whether or not to display this element]

Form Element Header Tab: FirstName: [textbox that determines what this element's header label reads]

What I'd like to have is 1 tab like so:

For Element Tab: FirstName: [checkbox for display] [textbox for header label]

And that's what I mean by multiple inputs by a single property.

Feb 16, 2015 @ 19:39
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jay

Ok, and is it tab's on a document type we're talking about? If so then you can just move the one property to the first tab and then delete the tab that you don't need anymore.

Otherwise I think it might be a good idea to post a screendump because then I'm obviously lost :)

/Jan

Feb 17, 2015 @ 13:10
    Jay

Yes it's for a tab on a document type.

I want both a checkbox and a textbox next to my 'FirstName' property, rather than having to list the same property twice, one with a checkbox and one with a textbox.

Is it possible?

Feb 17, 2015 @ 23:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jay

Aaaah, in that way...hmm it's not something that is possible out of the box. But you can consider creating a custom property editor that will let you structure your view so it fullfills your needs.

You can learn more about creating custom property editors here https://github.com/umbraco/AngularWorkbook/

What is your scenario for needing both a checkbox and an input field for the firstname btw? Maybe there is another way around it.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Feb 18, 2015 @ 12:05
    Jay

Hi Jan,

My scenario is that I have a lead capturing form on my pages. My client wants these to be completely customizable.

On some pages, we want to display a FirstName input element for the form. On others we do not.

On some pages, we want the FirstName input to have header 'First name:', while on others we want to have header 'Enter your first name:'.

At some point in the future, we might even want to determine the order in which the form elements appear. So we may also want to be able to set an order number.

Now I am forced to spread out these settings, which apply to the same set of form elements, across multiple tabs. It kind of clutters things up.

It would be great to see a combined properties feature in the future.

For now, I will make due with what is possible out of the box. There is no time for me to build a custom solution.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sincerely,

Jay

• John Churchley 272 posts 1258 karma points c-trib
    Feb 18, 2015 @ 15:57
    John Churchley

Hi Jay,

Have you checked out the contour? It does alot what your trying to provide and if you have no time to build a custom solution it's very good value for money while it supports future broader Umbraco development by HQ! 

http://umbraco.com/products/more-add-ons/contour

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft