Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• David Tregoning 63 posts 236 karma points
    Feb 17, 2015 @ 13:11
    David Tregoning

Partial view macro parameters and surface controllers

The basis of what I am trying to achieve is to allow a macro to be inserted into a RTE with a parameter of employeeID. This will connect to a 3rd party database and pull the employee details from that database and render them within the copy of the Rich text editor. I have managed to connect and render the details into a view using MVC outside of Umbraco but I am having trouble getting my code to work within Umbraco.

I started with using LINQ to SQL Classes to create my model EmployeeDetailsDataContext within visual Studio using a view within my database called vwPeopleProfiles.

I then created my surface Controller EmployeeDetailsSurfaceController as follows:

using System;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using System.Linq;
    using System.Web;
    using System.Web.Mvc;
    using Test.Models;
    using Umbraco.Web.Mvc

namespace Test.Controllers
    {
        public class EmployeeController : SurfaceController
        {
            public ActionResult Details(string id)
            {
                var dataContext = new EmployeeDetailsDataContext();
                var employee = (from e in dataContext.vwPeople_Profiles
                            where e.Employee_ID == id
                            select e).First();

return View(employee);
            }
        }
    }

This code was copied from my normal controller and the return references a details view but I don't know the correct syntax for return to reference a Macro.

I have created a Partial View Macro File within Umbraco but was not sure how to call the SurfaceController and then render the results onto the page:

@inherits Umbraco.Web.Macros.PartialViewMacroPage
    @if (Model.MacroParameters["employeeID"] != null)
    {
        //do something here to take the 'employeeID' macro parameter and pass it in to the 'Details' Action within the 'EmployeeDetailsSurfaceController' Surface controller
    }

All the examples I can find on the net focus around form submitting with Macros and surface controllers and although I think I could be close to resolving this issue I am stuck, can anybody help?

• user33 9 posts 56 karma points
    Feb 17, 2015 @ 16:10
    user33

Try returning as a partial view with a model and check ,

return PartialView("Employee", new EmpModel());

• David Tregoning 63 posts 236 karma points
    Feb 18, 2015 @ 15:53
    David Tregoning

I could not get that to work. Perhaps I should start at the beginning and ask what is the best way to just read (don't need to create, update or delete) a single record of data from a 3rd party database (not the database used for Umbraco)?

Would it be LINQ to SQL Classes or PetaPoco, then I can try to get my head around the best method of displaying this data

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft