Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Howard 87 posts 35 karma points
    Feb 18, 2015 @ 13:18
    Howard

Umbraco Grid with widgets

Hi,

I am succesfully getting through a complex site build in 7.2 but I have hit a stumbling block. I am trying to decide on the best approach for building site widgets and allowing Editors to build pages from a list of both Dynamic and Static widgets, some global and some local to the page.

The site is running on Bootstrap 3 with each widget loaded in a

tag on a responsive scrolable page. A widget can be anything from a CTA with links to a multi-tabbed WebApi driven Latest Content widget with responsive images.

Currently, each docTpe is hijacked and is passed its own model which inherets from a master model (contains global settings that admin editors can change, navigation etc)

I have successfully created a webApi that has a number of methods that deliver and filter categorised latest news, events, videos, resources etc in a Card UI format that is to be consumed by other company sites, apps and also self-consumed at some points within the site through jquery based dymamic widgets (repsonsive). [I will share the code when complete]

I have 3 possible approaches to display the widgets.

1. Pure Umbraco Grid:
    I am always aware that "Clients' break things" and feel that the current grid is a little too flexible but with the correct Angular property editors built for each widget it could be possible. How would I render the widgets using the grid? and how would the data be searched (Examine). I have Skybrud Grid installed but there is no Documentation so don't know how to use it to render with bootstrap3.(anyone have an example?)

Content Nodes + Grid
    2. Create a specific docType for each Global widget containing the settings. Then use a picker in the grid to select the right widget node. Render the widget by dynamically loading a partial into the view (could be ajax). 

3. Macro Partial + Grid
    Create a Macro for both static and dynamic widgets. Add the macro in the grid and enter the settings. Render the macro to the view and dynamically load the correct jquery to the page.

Please can someone advidse on the recommended appcoach that gives a flexible but rigit structure to the editor. And quickest way for coding :)

Thanks! Howard

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft