Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Howard 87 posts 35 karma points
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 20:51
    Howard

Strongly Typed Grid Data Access for Macro Parameters

Hi,

I have implemented skybrud.Umbraco.GridData for Strongly Typing the Grid Editor which was going fine.. but. I have access to all the values from the Grid Json output but I want to include Macros within the grid.

In the Json the macro data outputs like this:

"value": {

"macroAlias": "SomeWidget",

"macroParamsDictionary": {

"Headline": "Widget Headline",

"Link": "1102",

"SubHeadline": "Call to Action"

}

After a number of foreach loops to iterate through sections, rows, areas and finally controls, there are no properties to access the macro parameters and control.Value just outputs

Skybrud.Umbraco.GridData.Values.GridControlMacroValue

with no more poperties available.

Help would be much apreaciated! thanks. Howard

Umb v7.2.2 using VS2013

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 23, 2015 @ 22:26
    Anders Bjerner

Hi Howard,

Sorry for the lack of documentation. I simply haven't had the time for it :(

Do you have an example of what your code looks like? From what I can tell you're trying to use the Value property on the macro control. The type of property depends on the control, so for a macro control it is of the type GridControlMacroValue. You can use something like this:

if (control.Editor.Alias == "macro") {

GridControlMacroValue value = control.GetValue<GridControlMacroValue>();

if (value.MacroAlias == "TestMacro") {

Console.WriteLine("URL: " + value.Parameters["Url"]);

}

}

Feb 24, 2015 @ 13:31
    Howard

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, I was trying to access the value. I tried GetValue but didnt pass it a Type as per your documentation so it didn't work. What i ended up doing was getting the control as a JObject and accessing the Tokens to get the data. Your solution is much more precise, thanks!

JObject obj = control.JObject;

var valueToken = obj.SelectToken("value");

if (valueToken.SelectToken("macroAlias") != null){

var macroAlias = valueToken.SelectToken("macroAlias");

var macroParams = valueToken.SelectToken("macroParamsDictionary");

@Html.Partial("~/Views/Partials/Widgets/_CTA.cshtml", macroParams)

}

Do you have an example of how you would replace the Grid Editor Bootstrap 3 convertor? I have done a version but i don't want to do all the code in the view.

I would prefer to create some Helper methods that output the HTML so I can store in a model and pass to the relevant views and Partials. I have a number of widgets that are both sitewide and local to the page. The intention is to use the gridEditor to select and organise the approriate widgets and populate with data/prefs; then the controller will call the Grid renderer method(using Skybrud.GridData), insert the widget code (pulled from templates) and output the html to the view. Templates could just be HTML with {{value}} tokens that get replaced by the method OR partial views that get passed the Jtoken macro parameters. 

Do you think this is feasable or am i over complicating? Am i asking too much from the GridEditor? Due to the site being fully responsive and some widges using ajax/jquery, Depending upon certain parameters that the editor selects for the widget, I need to control the parent classes and markup so rendering the page output HTML before passing to the view gives more control. Any guidance would be apreciated.

Many thanks! Howard

• Anders Bjerner 487 posts 2989 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Feb 24, 2015 @ 18:42
    Anders Bjerner

Hi again,

I don't have an example on how to render the Grid in frontend using the strongly typed model, since I actually haven't had to use it myself yet. The strongly typed model was created as a proof of concept for indexing the Grid in Examine.

I'll see whether I can dig up some examples ;)

Feb 25, 2015 @ 23:16
    Howard

Hi Anders,

Thanks for the reply. An example or two would be great thanks, I am currently coding the UI Templates for the site so once complete would be good to share once I have integrated with the grid. I have Recompiled Bootstrap stripped down to just the core grid and base utilites so it will be a useful example. Thanks!

Getting the grid to work with examine will be the next thing! good work!

Howard :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft