Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• crono 58 posts 129 karma points
    Feb 24, 2015 @ 15:10
    crono

Media in content section

My employer would like to store all images for a gallery (hundreds - potentially thousands) in the content section, but I think it might not be the best practice.

Basically, he wants the imageuploader to create content nodes instead of media nodes. Is this even possible with the standard imageuploader, or would it require a custom module to work?

Also, would there be any performance disadvantages in storing media in the content section?

Thanks in advance.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 24, 2015 @ 15:19
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Crono

That's a terrible idea! :)

I don't see any advantages doing it like this. Content and media will get cluttered and it would require you to create your own Media document types etc. etc. etc. instead of just using the functionality that you get out of the box - What is the reason that your boss wants to do this?

/Jan

Feb 24, 2015 @ 15:37
    crono

Thanks for the reply Jan,

Yep, it's a terrible idea - and the reason why he wants it is, I guess, to have everything in one place.

It's not just a one page gallery - besides images, there are categories and folders.

My initial solution creates a content node whenever a category or folder is created, and adds a reference to the media node that created it - so when I go to the url of the content node, I know where to grab the media from.

If that is a terrible idea too, please let me know ;)

Feb 24, 2015 @ 15:50
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Crono

Yeah, well it does not make sense to want to have everything in one place. When using the Media Picker it's quite easy to navigate the media section and find whatever image one needs.

I think your approach sounds fine since you're just automating what would have otherwise been a manual task :)

/Jan

Feb 24, 2015 @ 15:53
    crono

Hej Jan,

Thank you for your input - I'll try to convince him ;)

Have a great day.

Feb 24, 2015 @ 15:56
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Crono

Thanks you - Fingers crossed that you'll get him convinced :)

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft