Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Warren Buckley 2106 posts 4836 karma points MVP ∞ admin hq c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 14:02
    Warren Buckley

List View Sort By with Custom Field

Hello All, I am currently rebuilding the uHangout website and I have the videos stored in Umbraco inside a List View as child nodes.

I have modified the list view to show a property from the Video document type - 'views' however when it is displayed in the list I can not click on the header to sort the items by the amount of views as expected.

The field is stored as a label, as an periodic import tool imports the videos from YouTube into Umbraco as nodes and the view count should be read only and not modified by me in the backoffice of Umbraco.

Is there are reason why I cannot sort my videos in the list view by custom property of views?

Many Thanks,
    Warren

• Mads Krohn 211 posts 504 karma points c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 14:09
    Mads Krohn

Hey Warren

Please refer to this issue http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4383 regarding sorting on custom properties in the list view.

- Cheers

• Asbjørn 82 posts 195 karma points c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 16:34
    Asbjørn

Yes, the inability to sort by custom properties is a major deficiency in the (otherwise great) ListView. Hopefully the PR in the bug will address this for 7.3.

• Robert J. Bullock 386 posts 405 karma points
    Mar 19, 2015 @ 17:48
    Robert J. Bullock

This HAS to be a top priority. Just at face value it doesn't seem it should be that big of a coding challenge, no?

Mar 19, 2015 @ 18:52
    Robert J. Bullock

OH, actually... yeah, it is more challenging than you might initially guess as you can have multiple docTypes in the list view, so what do you do if an item doesn't have your sorting property?

Mar 19, 2015 @ 18:54
    Robert J. Bullock

To be perfectly honest, I would be fine with this: IF you set a node structure so it's children show as a list view THEN you can only allow one docType below the container node. It may sound a little odd, but basically your list view would ignore other docTypes below the container node for listview purposes. (The editor could alert you if there were other docTypes "hidden" by the list view).

Does that make sense?

Mar 19, 2015 @ 18:55
    Robert J. Bullock

In practice, if you want a list view for a folder, it's unlikely you would want to store multiple docTypes there in any case, no?

• andrew shearer 506 posts 653 karma points
    Jul 15, 2015 @ 04:25
    andrew shearer

hello - does anyone have an update on this issue? thanks

• Alex Skrypnyk 6132 posts 23951 karma points MVP 7x admin c-trib
    Sep 15, 2020 @ 10:28
    Alex Skrypnyk

Is there any update on this issue? Looks like it's not working in the latest Umbraco version.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft