Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Martijn 10 posts 29 karma points
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 14:34
    Martijn

Invalid column name 'alias'.

Whenever I try to add a new page, an exception is thrown without any sort of proper handling. basically a YSOD.

See here:

enter image description here

If only it would say in which table it is missing the alias column, I could add it. Is this a standard thing where it's obvious to a more experienced dev where to add this column? Also, why can't Umbraco add a missing column automagically?

This is Umbraco 7.1.1 on ASP.NET 4.5.1 on the VS2013 built-in webserver thingy on Windows 7.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 14:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martijn

When has this started to happen? Has there been other developers touching the site? Or is it only you who do development on the site?

I suspect there is a naming conflict where two document types have the same alias. So perhaps you could check that?

/Jan

• Martijn 10 posts 29 karma points
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 15:04
    Martijn

When has this started to happen? Has there been other developers touching the site? Or is it only you who do development on the site?

Started to happen as soon as I wanted to add the first page after I'd taken over this project from another guy. He's not here now, so I can't ask. Lots of pages have been added, so at some point it must've worked.

I suspect there is a naming conflict where two document types have the same alias. So perhaps you could check that?

If that were the case, I'd expect a full-featured cms like Umbraco to tell me about it as soon as that happens.

/edit
    I added one new doctype, but it has a unique alias name. I copied another one, and left the default new/unique alias alone. But, even if I try to give it an alias that already exists, Umbraco doesn't warn me about it, which is "quite bad" if it can cause errors later on.

Anyway, that wasn't the problem, so what else can I do?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 15:32
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Martjin

Well, actually it is currently possible to create document types using the same alias by mistake in the settings section without getting notified about it. I agree it should not be possible but I guess it's not something that has been important enough for people to report it on the issue tracker so it can be fixed so that one get's a warning about it.

So if you know you have two document types with the same alias then you should rename one of them and then the error should go away. Sorry If I'm repeating myself but I'm a bit confused about what you write above here - Sounds like you did not change the alias to something else. Might be worth trying to recycle the application pool after doing so.

"I added one new doctype, but it has a unique alias name. I copied another one, and left the default new/unique alias alone. But, even if I try to give it an alias that already exists, Umbraco doesn't warn me about it, which is "quite bad" if it can cause errors later on."

I agree that there really should be a warning and that it's a bad experience when I get to it I'll create an issue about this on the issue tracker - if you feel like it you're welcome to report it as well :)

If recycling the application pool does not work either I'm not sure how to fix it. But it would be nice to know if there are any 3rd party packages being used or whether there is some custom 3rd party integration or backoffice interaction using the Umbraco API etc. - Is the source code version controlled in git or mercurial for instance? Is there a backup of the database that you could try to recreate etc. ?

/Jan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 16:23
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Martijn and Jan,

Jan is right it has been possible to create two document types with the same alias in earlier versions of Umbraco. But I can see from the Related changes from the issue this has been fixed from Umbraco 7.2 and forward you will find an issue about that a document type can have the same name or alias. https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/720/

So now if you use Umbraco 7.2 or newer it makes a check if the name or alias is already exist. Try to see this issue on the issue tracker. http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-1083

/Dennis

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 16:38
    Dennis Aaen

And it seems like it was already fixed in Umbraco 7.1.9 if you see the Issues & Tasks on the page for Umbraco 7.1.9 https://our.umbraco.org/contribute/releases/719, then is the first one.

/Dennis

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft