Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Keith Donnell 82 posts 187 karma points
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 17:59
    Keith Donnell

How to allow Administrator User access to Member area

We are using the built-in functionality to allow members-only access to certain parts of our site, however it appears that when logged in as an Umbraco administrator, they cannot view the members area without logging in with a valid member account.  I know that Users and Members are disjoint, but in my case I don't want to require an administrator to have a separate account to access the members-only content from the front-end.  Can this be accomplished?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 20:15
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Keith

Do you want a user account to be able to login to a login protected area on the frontend website? So there is no member account?

Or is it when the user has been logged into Umbraco and then trying to login to the frontend facing website using his/hers member account that things go wrong?

/Jan

• Keith Donnell 82 posts 187 karma points
    Mar 05, 2015 @ 23:57
    Keith Donnell

I am using the "Public Access" section to manage which Member Groups have access to various content.  While logged in as an umbraco Administrator, I am presented with our login page when trying to access that content - I have to log in with a Member account in order to view.  I would like the Administrator account(s) to be able to access this content without having to have a second Member account.

• mike 90 posts 258 karma points
    Mar 06, 2015 @ 00:49
    mike

Could you modify login page to also log them into a member account?

I havent started looking at event handling yet in umbraco but maybe there is a way to trigger code on user logged in event? You could create an object that holds a reference so you could match up user accounts to member accounts.

I don't know if any of that will work.  I'll try and test it out if I get time.

• Gavin Semple 21 posts 93 karma points
    Jun 17, 2015 @ 08:37
    Gavin Semple

I've just come across this inconvenience as well. It would be nice if certain Users (particularly the backoffice Administrators) had access to Member protected areas by default.

The site I am currently working on, basically the entire fontend is Member protected. It seems odd that as the backoffice administrator I can't even access these pages without having to create a separate Member based login and log in with that.

• Desmond 2 posts 82 karma points
    Nov 01, 2018 @ 02:19
    Desmond

I know this is an old thread, i was wondering if anyone has a fix for this. It just do not make any sense for administrators or editors needing to login while previewing content.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft