Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Terry Clancy 204 posts 944 karma points
    Mar 07, 2015 @ 09:14
    Terry Clancy

The break point will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document.

Accidentally marked this issue as solved (sorry) so I am re-posting it  (also with new information included). ..............

I am using Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 on Windows 8.1 Pro developing an Umbraco / ASP.Net  based website and am working on a Razor Partial View called  TTPV_Home_10_Slider.cshtml  in VS2013. 

I am getting a problem setting debugging  breakpoints in Javascript, hovering over the breakpoint I get the tooltip: "The breakpoint will not currently be hit. No symbols have been loaded for this document." 

Should this work - does this normally work on Umbraco *.cshtml razor files ?

I am also getting the same problem with other *.cshtml files in the project.

However debugging and breakpoints are working in *.aspx web form pages in this project.

I have selected Build/Rebuild Solution and have the Solution set to "Debug".  I have also tried rebooting my machine.

The Project name is "ClancyCom8"

In VS2013 when I select Debug/Windows/Modules:

On the line with name "ClancyCom8.dll" the "Symbol Status" is "Symbols Loaded"

On the line with name "App_Web_ttpv_home_10_slider.cshtml.89207646.pd1c6umh.dll" the "Symbol Status" is "Symbols Loaded"

(however I am not 100% sure I am looking at the right DLLs).

when I select Debug/Windows/Processes I get:

iexplore.exe 9944 C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe      Running      Script      Default      TERRYCLANCYASUS 
     iisexpress.exe 9576 C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\iisexpress.exe intellitrace_00002568_01d0587036debc02_25c59adb-1286-49d0-87d5-2149f9e2250d      Running      IntelliTrace, Managed (v4.5, v4.0)      Default      TERRYCLANCYASUS 

Any help resolving or debugging this problem would be appreciated. Developing with out debaug capability is really annoying :-)

Thanks in Advance

Terry Clancy

ClanceZ

• mike 90 posts 258 karma points
    Mar 07, 2015 @ 14:48
    mike

1. Do you have latest updates to visual studio?
    2. Have you tried opening it on another pc?
    3. Have you stepped through code prior and checked output to make sure it is not silently failing? 

• Terry Clancy 204 posts 944 karma points
    Mar 14, 2015 @ 08:04
    Terry Clancy

Hi Mike,

It has taken me a while to step thorugh your suggestions but now I have done so and

(1) I was running Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Update 3 - I have now upgraded to Update 4 - but the same problem still exists.

(2) I have not installed Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Update 4  on a seperate machine - but the same problem still exists.

(3) I have now put a break point on the first line of code in the

$(document).ready(function () {

of the web page I am working with - but the same problem still exists.  I am not sure  how I can move the breakpoint to any code prior to that.

Other thins I have tried include

1. Clear the Solution
    2. Rebuild the Solution / Project
    3. Resart VS
    4. Reboot machine
    5. Delete ClancyCom8.* in the \bin folder
    6. Delete all files int the \obj folder

This is a real pain so any help would be appreciated.

Terry Clancy

ClancyeZ

Mar 14, 2015 @ 17:00
    mike

does breakpoint hit if you set it outside of the javascript?  For instance create empty view and add:

@{

var m = @model;  // BP this line

}

Is it just this page it happens on?  If you can try to render that empty view and breakpoint hits then it's something in code silently failing.  I had an issue like this where my site and code was working without error even though I had syntax slightly incorrect somewhere.  It seems code was good enough for compiler but debugger just ignored error instead of throwing it which made it not hit break points for some weird reason.

Any time I get in a situation where I cannot understand what is causing an issue I usually create a fresh project and check everything is working.  Then I add things in one by one until the error is replicated.  You have to try and isolate whats going on.

Mar 16, 2015 @ 23:38
    mike

I just tried debugging JQuery in Umbraco and I got the exact same issue as you.  I will try to figure out whats going on.

Have you got any further with it yet?

Mar 16, 2015 @ 23:54
    mike

OK was just silly mistake at my end I got it working again.  Interesting thing to note is that it gives that error that breakpoint wont be hit right up until it gets hit so it may well be logic issue in your app I dont know.

Also you can try adding "debugger;" to your javascript file as this will act as a break point.

Also in advanced settings of internet expolorer you must make sure script debugging is enabled.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft