Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• TempleClause 32 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 08, 2015 @ 22:27
    TempleClause

Best Practise for deploying Website to server

Is there any article on how to deploy a umbraco site from VS 2013? I'm just looking for some best practice guidelines.

Just hitting the publish button in VS seems to work but it takes ages and I think a lot of unnecessary data gets published. For exmaple App_Data/NuGetBackup.

Thanks

• Paul 4 posts 75 karma points
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 11:49
    Paul

I publish frequently from VS 2013 using web deploy, its important to note that vs will only publish files that are part of your project so if you exclude the App_Data/NuGetBackup it should no longer be deployed.

Additionally if you open Properties/PublishProfiles/something.pubxml add/update the line MSDeployUseChecksum to true, then this will change from the default check which is a simple file modfiied check (which is ok for solo developer but more than 1 and each dev publishes different file modified) to only files that have changed check.

<MSDeployUseChecksum>true</MSDeployUseChecksum>

The above settings might be specific to web deployed but alternatively...

The last option is unloading the project in VS then edit the proj file (so you see the xml) and you can explicitly exclude files & folder from deployment (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/webdev/archive/2010/04/22/web-deployment-excluding-files-and-folders-via-the-web-application-s-project-file.aspx)

<ExcludeFilesFromDeployment>file1;file2;file3</ExcludeFilesFromDeployment>

<ExcludeFoldersFromDeployment>Folder1;Folder2</ExcludeFoldersFromDeployment>

Mar 10, 2015 @ 18:43
    TempleClause

Thanks! Very useful information :-)

Mar 10, 2015 @ 18:53
    TempleClause

Have to thank you again! This is worth gold:

<MSDeployUseChecksum>true</MSDeployUseChecksum>

Thanks!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: