Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• jonshutt 3 posts 23 karma points
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 15:50
    jonshutt

Newbie trying to fix a "Error in '/' application" bug in site

Hello Folks,

I've been tasked with fixing a bug in a site for a client. The bug is that with the pages tree, when clicking on just one of the page, it's saying "Error in '/' application." - only happens to one page, and we want to get rid of that one page.

A bit of background - this is a live site, hosted on a windows server. It was set up a while back by a different company. I've never used a windows server before. I've never used aspx or c#. I'm working on mac using remote desktop connection to the server. I'm logging to the cms using the clients admin details.

Firstly, is there any way to turn on/see a better error message? 

I can access the database using Mircosoft SQL Server Management Studio - is it possible to delete the page from one of the tables? or is that risky?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 15:54
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jonshutt and welcome to our :)

Are you not able to simply delete the page using the Umbraco backoffice? Or is it impossible to access it using the backoffice? I assume it's an error people are getting on the frontpage of the site, or?

/Jan

Mar 10, 2015 @ 16:08
    jonshutt

Hi - no, right clicking the page - then choosing delete just gives the same error. as does clicking 'rollback'...

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 16:25
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Jacob...ah that way...

Hmm, I think you should be able to remove it from the database by using this approach https://agebase.co.uk/blog/how-to-remove-orphaned-or-missing-umbraco-nodes/ - But make sure to make a backup of the database first and also the files just to be safe in case something does not turn out as expected.

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 10, 2015 @ 16:41
    jonshutt

thanks for the pointer - it sounds like some orphaned item is the problem - i'll take a look...

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft