Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Greg 2 posts 22 karma points
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 16:14
    Greg

upgrading third party packages

I was playing around with uSync today and noticed that I am running version 2.4.3, but 2.4.9 has been published, so I started looking for an upgrade button.  Not finding one, I searched the web and forum looking for the recommended way to upgrade third party packages and have not found one.

So how are third party packages upgraded in Umbraco?  Do I uninstall the old package and reinstall the new package?  Does it depend on the package?

I am looking for general direction.

Thanks.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 11x admin c-trib
    Mar 10, 2015 @ 16:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Greg

I think that you should be able to install the new package, which I guess will overwrite the existing installation so that it's upgraded to the latest version.

But it's actually a common issue since I'm not sure this goes for all packages. There is certainly room for improvement in this area and for starters it would help if package creators considered writing a small upgrade guide on their package page.

But before doing anything make sure to keep a backup of both your files and the database in case something is not working out as expected.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft