Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Ryan Nguyen 27 posts 80 karma points
    Mar 12, 2015 @ 15:24
    Ryan Nguyen

Cannot access the file 'Umbraco.sdf' because it is being used by another process.

Hello,

I'm running into this error message when loading up Visual Studio and also trying to do a check in.  

"The process cannot access the file '...\Umbraco.sdf' because it is being used by another process."

Here is my setup:

1)I create a new ASP.net Empty project,

2) Using NuGet, get the latest version of Umbraco

3) Check in the Umbraco source code in TFS Source Control (The Umbraco.sdf file is checked out)

4) I set my Umbraco website to run under IIS

and thats it, nothing really special at all.  However, it seems like, IIS is not releasing the lock on the "Umbraco.sdf" file.

Has anyone running into this issue?

Thanks,

Ryan

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Mar 12, 2015 @ 15:36
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Ryan,

I have a similar issue when I need to take down a site from a live server that uses the SQL CE database. What normally do is to stop the IIS and then download all the files, and then you can start the IIS again.

Perhaps you can try the same approach by stop your application pool and the check out the SQL CE database file called Umbraco.sdf.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

Mar 12, 2015 @ 15:42
    Ryan Nguyen

Hey Dennis,

Thats what I have been doing, every single time I do a check-in or open visual studio, I have to recycle my app pool. 

I was hoping if there is a concrete solution.

Thanks

Ryan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 12, 2015 @ 15:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ryan

Unfortunately there is no solution to this - It's been like that forever. When Umbraco used another embedded database in the happy days of v4.0.x it was the same thing unfortunately.

/Jan

Mar 12, 2015 @ 16:13
    Ryan Nguyen

Hey Jan,

I guess its really unfortunate that there isn't a fix for this yet.

Thanks

Ryan

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 12, 2015 @ 16:38
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Ryan

Don't know if it's something that is fixable - But since I don't think it's a specific Umbraco issue so HQ won't be able to fix it.

/Jan

• Sebastiaan Janssen 5045 posts 15477 karma points MVP admin hq
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 06:56
    Sebastiaan Janssen

Indeed, this is not an Umbraco specific issue. When you start the site, a small server is running to be able to use the database. This server HAS to keep the database file in use to make sure data does not get corrupted. Similarly, if you were using sqlserver, the MDF and ldf files will be in use until you stop the server and you wouldn't expect to put them in source control without having to stop the server either.

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft