Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Chris Ashton 57 posts 89 karma points
    Mar 12, 2015 @ 16:04
    Chris Ashton

Multi-tenancy microsites, and how to keep document-types, scripts, and templates in sync

Hi,

I have a requirement to host around 20 microsites. The sites are small, and are to share the same features, document-types, and templates. 

I imagine there will be some kind of base site with some optional extras that can be snapped in when required.

It would be great to host them under a single Umbraco instance as this would make upgrading Umbraco, and patching scripts and templates a more streamlined process. However, I foresee several issues regarding multi-tenancy where the tenants aren't on friendly terms:

1. User management. We want users to self manage, but if we grant microsite users access to the Users section users of one microsite will be able to see users of other microsites.
    2. Contour form insertion. When an editor inserts a form in the RTE they will see all Contours forms, not just the forms related to their particular microsite.

It is a requirement that users of one microsite are unaware of the other microsites.

I guess we could write our own custom user management section and Contour form insertion tool, but it seems to me Umbraco isn't really intended to be used for multi-tenancy sites where the tenants aren't on friendly terms.

The alternative is to have an instance of Umbraco for each microsite, but this raises the issue of how to handle:

1. Umbraco upgrades
    2. Synchronise document-types, templates, and scripts

I'm wondering if other Umbraco developers have experience of similar situations, and if they have any solutions or advice?

Many thanks,

Chris

• Boyan Mihaylov 2 posts 22 karma points
    Apr 19, 2015 @ 14:01
    Boyan Mihaylov

Hello Chris,

I would write some custom code to hide users from other microsites. You can take a look at the aspx pages that the section uses. Alternatively you could write your own section. We did something similar with respect to macros and user permissions.

I don't have much experience with Contour, but maybe you could do some similar "overwriting" there as well :)

Best,
    Boyan

• ram 9 posts 29 karma points
    Jul 09, 2015 @ 14:10
    ram

Hi Chris and Boyan,

I need to implement multiple microsites in a single umbracoCMS. I stuggle to deploy the umbraco CMS ,because my sites working fine while running from visual studio. But if i deployed(visual studio publish) it on local server or some free hosting website, I am getting some problem. Script files, images not render in the page. please give a solution, because u already done it. I am new to Umbraco.

And next thing is how to give different hostname for the microsites in a single UmbracoCMS. i getiing some idea from this link( http://www.justinshield.com/2013/07/howto-using-umbraco-cms-for-multi-site-solutions/comment-page-1/#comment-1860). but i need some detailed explanation

waiting for your replies. thanks ram

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft