Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Owain Williams 479 posts 1410 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 10:59
    Owain Williams

Migrate Blog from Orchard CMS

Hi, 
    I'm very interested in migrating my current blog over to Umbraco but wondered if anyone has successfully done this from Orchard CMS to Umbraco 7?

Looking to migrate all my blog posts and comments. I can export the content in an XML file, is there a way to import this xml file in to Umbraco?

Cheers,

• Tom Steer 161 posts 596 karma points
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 11:05
    Tom Steer

Hi Owain,

I would suggest looking at CMSImport (http://soetemansoftware.nl/cmsimport) it support an XML data source.

Cheers,

Tom

• Ismail Mayat 4511 posts 10090 karma points MVP 2x admin c-trib
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 11:07
    Ismail Mayat

Owain,

CMSImport (paid but very cheap) can be used to import xml files, i have used it not for orchard but another cms and it worked a treat see https://our.umbraco.org/projects/developer-tools/cmsimport and how i did it with Immediacy cms http://thecogworks.co.uk/blog/posts/2010/november/migrating-to-umbraco-via-cms-import/

Regards

Ismail

Mar 13, 2015 @ 11:10
    Owain Williams

Thanks for the speedy replies!!

I think the free edition might be enough for me, I only have 100 blog posts and 60 comments so not a huge site. Probably best to move now before it gets any bigger :)

Would the free edition allow me to do what I need?

• Hong 66 posts 228 karma points
    Dec 23, 2017 @ 03:42
    Hong

Hello Owain, have you had any luck in migrating data from Orchard to Umbraco? I have the same need.

• Richard Soeteman 4035 posts 12842 karma points MVP
    Mar 16, 2015 @ 10:02
    Richard Soeteman

Hi,

The free edition would allow for the posts indeed but keeping the structure of comments underneath the posts is a paid feature

Best,

Richard

Dec 23, 2017 @ 13:44
    Hong

I tried it with the following SQL query:

SELECT t.Title, f.Data, b.Text  FROM dbo.Title_TitlePartRecord t
     inner join dbo.Orchard_Framework_ContentItemRecord f on 
     t.ContentItemRecord_id=f.Id 
      inner join dbo.Common_BodyPartRecord b on 
     b.ContentItemRecord_id=f.Id
      AND  b.Id = (
                SELECT MAX(m2.Id) 
                FROM dbo.Common_BodyPartRecord m2 
                WHERE m2.ContentItemRecord_id = f.Id
            )
      AND  t.Id = (
                SELECT MAX(m2.Id) 
                FROM dbo.Title_TitlePartRecord m2 
                WHERE m2.ContentItemRecord_id = f.Id
            )

The import process seemed to go smoothly, and I can see hundreds of imported blog entries in Umbraco, but they have not contents. They have only titles. They are not automatically published. After I publish one of the imported entries, I get the following error when viewing Blogs:

Server Error in '/' Application. Unable to cast object of type 'Umbraco.Web.PublishedContentModels.Blog' to type 'Umbraco.Web.PublishedContentModels.Blogpost'. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.InvalidCastException: Unable to cast object of type 'Umbraco.Web.PublishedContentModels.Blog' to type 'Umbraco.Web.PublishedContentModels.Blogpost'.

Source Error:

Line 20:

Line 21: Line 22:
    @foreach (ContentModels.Blogpost post in blogposts) Line 23:
    { Line 24:

Dec 24, 2017 @ 13:17
    Owain Williams

Hi, I ended up writing a XML converter but unfortunately I don't have it any more. What is your blog structure in the back office?

Dec 24, 2017 @ 13:30
    Hong

I use the default blog structure of Umbraco - the one in start kit - as following: enter image description here

The importing is sort of working. I have imported the titles and excerpts, but not content. I can understand it because content needs to be added individually for each blog post. I just imported contents to excerpts, and edit them one by one. It is a personal site, and there are not many posts (only a few hundred), so I will just take time to re-publish them one by one. It takes only a few seconds for each of them.

Jan 12, 2018 @ 12:29
    Owain Williams

Ye, I probably spent more time writing the converter than what it would have taken if I had just copied the posts over myself one by one. :)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft