Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Paul de Quant 403 posts 1520 karma points
    Mar 13, 2015 @ 13:01
    Paul de Quant

Reset user password and email new password

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if it is possible, that when you reset a users password in the admin section for it to email the user their new password rather than for it to display on screen. Ideally, Administrators shouldn't be able to see the users password when it is reset. This is NOT for the Members section but for the Admin section only.

Are they an config tweaks or packages that can do this?

Many Thanks

Paul

• Alex Skrypnyk 6148 posts 24077 karma points MVP 8x admin c-trib
    Mar 16, 2015 @ 01:18
    Alex Skrypnyk

Hi Paul,

You can implement that functionality via events. Look at UserService, there are UserService.SavingUser event can be what you want. Example of working with events :

https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Reference/Events-v6/ContentService-Events

Thanks, Alex

Mar 16, 2015 @ 08:48
    Paul de Quant

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your response, I have considered using the UserService, however for security purposes we don't want the Admin to be able to see the password, I know at the moment when you check the Reset Password box the page reloads and password is shown in a green modal box. Is there any way we can switch this bit off but still retain the reset password option?

Many Thanks

Paul

• P@010 10 posts 52 karma points
    Mar 17, 2015 @ 11:24
    P@010

@Alex - unless I am missing something, you cannot use the UserService events because you do not have access to the saved password. The RawPasswordValue field has already been hashed by the time the event is raised.

Mar 19, 2015 @ 11:56
    Paul de Quant

Do we know if this is still possible, I'll obviously need to send it in plain text to the user?

Thanks

Paul

Mar 19, 2015 @ 16:48
    Paul de Quant

I've just tested this and P@010 is correct, the password is indeed hashed when we call it. Does anyone know how to get around this, without having to disable Hashing.

private void UserService_SavedUser(IUserService sender, SaveEventArgs<Umbraco.Core.Models.Membership.IUser> e)
        {
            var savedEnts = e.SavedEntities;

string userEmail = savedEnts.Select(x => x.Email).FirstOrDefault();
            string userPassword = savedEnts.Select(x => x.).FirstOrDefault();

SendMail(userEmail, "Password Reset", "Here is your new password: " + userPassword);
        }

Mar 23, 2015 @ 10:46
    Paul de Quant

Just a further update on this.

We have found a work around for this of sorts, it's not fantastic but it did the job. We basically found the file passwordChanger.ascx (/umbraco/controls), its the file that outputs the newly reset password (the green box that's shown) and we removed the password from view but triggered a web service call, in which we passed the newly created password and called a function that emails the user. Like I said it's crude, but it does the job.

Cheers

Paul

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Jun 04, 2015 @ 08:59
    Dan Evans

Hi Paul

I would like to achieve the same thing as you describe. Do you have code to reset and email a new password to a user?

Thanks

Dan

Jun 04, 2015 @ 09:27
    Paul de Quant

Hi Dan,

Sure thing, basically dig out the passwordChanger.ascx control (/umbraco/controls/). Open it up and change the last div of the page - I think it's called id="Div1".

Replace that Div with this code:-

passwordChanger.ascx

Apologies for the screen grab, the code format insert tool kept stripping out some code.

Once this is in, you'll then need to create a User web service.

[WebService(Namespace = "http://tempuri.org/")]
    [WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo = WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)]
    [System.ComponentModel.ToolboxItem(false)]
    // To allow this Web Service to be called from script, using ASP.NET AJAX, uncomment the following line. 
    [System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService]
    public class User : System.Web.Services.WebService
    {

[WebMethod]
        public bool sendUserEmail(string message, string emailAddress)
        {
            string emailMessage = "<h3>Password reset</h3><p>Your password for the [WEBSITE NAME] website has been reset to: " + message + "</p><p>If you have received this email in error please notify the systems manager at <a href='mailto:[EMAIL ADDRESS]'>[EMAIL ADDRESS]</a>. The email should then be deleted.</p>";
            Shared.EmailHelper.SendMail(emailAddress, "Password reset", emailMessage, true);
            return true;
        }
    }

Obviously replace the SendEmail function with your own .net Send Mail code.

Hope this helps, and let me know if it works for you.

Thanks

Paul

• Dan Evans 629 posts 1016 karma points
    Jun 04, 2015 @ 10:36
    Dan Evans

Fantastic, that works fine, just needed to change the ID of the Email field. Here is the code not as a screenshot:

<scripttype="text/javascript">

$(document).ready(function (){

var newPassword = "<%# ChangingPasswordModel.GeneratedPassword %>";

var emailAddress = document.getElementById("body_ctl12").value;

$.ajax({

type: 'POST',

dataType: 'json',

contentType: 'application/json',

url: '/Services/User.asmx/sendUserEmail',

data: '{ "emailAddress": "' + emailAddress + '", "message": "' + newPassword + '"}',

success: function (data) {

$('#passwordInfobox').show();

$('#passwordInfobox').html("<h3>Update successful</h3> <p>An email with the new password has been sent to: " + emailAddress + ".</p>");

},

error: function (jqXHR, textStatus, errorThrown)  {

console.log(textStatus, errorThrown);

('#passwordInfobox').show();

('#passwordInfobox').html("<h3>There was a problem with your request</h3> <p>There was a problem updating the password, please try again.</p)<p>" + errorThrown + "</p>");

}

});

});

</script>

Jun 04, 2015 @ 10:40
    Paul de Quant

Excellent, glad I could help.

Cheers

Paul

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to: