Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AmandaEly 123 posts 379 karma points
    Mar 17, 2015 @ 11:45
    AmandaEly

New Member Picker Problem

A similar problem was solved in https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/53200-Member-Picker-Problem but it is not working for me.

I am using Umbraco 7.2.2 and have included a memberpicker in a document type. I have 500 members but am not seeing any at all in the right hand menu.

I'm sorry if it is not the correct thing to open a new problem but this is not solved as far as I am concerned. I have tried switching off cahching in Chrome but this has no effect.

If I type anything in the search box, including a known member's name, it find nothing. In fact nothing even seems to be happening.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 17, 2015 @ 12:34
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi AmandaEly

Have you tried seeing if you get an error message in the browser console window of your browser? Also does the /App_Data/Logs file reveal anything related to the issue? Anything marked with "ERROR" or "WARNING" ?

Is this a local installation or a server installation?

/Jan

Mar 17, 2015 @ 14:21
    AmandaEly

a) No error message in Console window

b) Nothing in umbracotracelog.txt (nothing called error or warning)

c) I am running on a local version, using SQL Server 2014.

I just included the MemberPicker "as is". Was I supposed to have specified ti in some way?

Mar 17, 2015 @ 16:59
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Amanda

No you should be able to just use it as it is. Unfortunately I have no clue about what the issue could be. It's weird that there is no clue about the issue in the logs I think...I'm out of ideas...

Only thing I'm thinking about is whether you're using the search field where it's saying "Type to search" or are you using the field where it says "Search"? Does both not return anything? If so it might be a bug perhaps?

/Jan

Mar 17, 2015 @ 17:15
    AmandaEly

Just created a new DataType called "RunnerPicker" This is simply a copy of MemberPicker (I wasn't offered any other options. This doesn't work either

I just tried this in Internet Explorer (whatever the latest version is). Doesn't work there either. 

I tried using both of the search fields. Neither works. I really do have 498 members. They were all created via MemberService, however. Could be that none of them are active. This doesn't bother me, as I mainly want to use members to accumulate race results. Could this be the reason?

Mar 17, 2015 @ 17:22
    AmandaEly

I just wnet and added a member to a group then saved it (from the office side. It then magically appeared in the member picker. I wonder if this is because it is in a group, or because I saved it manually?

I still have to know the name more or less, as the list of members does not appear.

If I click on the search button, this just puts me up to "type to search".

I'd say at least part of this is a bug.

Mar 18, 2015 @ 09:35
    AmandaEly

I have used MemberService to add all my members to groups/roles. This has not helped, sadly. I can only access the two members I saved manually. This is pretty rubbish. 498 members is a large number to process manually.

So, workaround is to make sure a member is saved manually. This is not a solution.

Mar 19, 2015 @ 10:41
    AmandaEly

What is the difference between saving a member using MemberService and saving a member through the Member dashboard? 

I have looked at a member I can view via MemberPicker and one I can't using MemberService.GetByName and by trawling through the database. Even looking at the cmsContentXml I can see no difference. 

Why do I have to save any member by hand, in the Dashboard before the MemberPicker can see them?

If I could answer this question, I could make whatever change is needed, in bulk, through the MemberService.

Mar 19, 2015 @ 12:19
    AmandaEly

So I stopped the application. Then I went into App_data and renames cache, logs, and TEMp to oldCache etc. Restarted the application. Typed in a previously unavailable name into the MemberPicker. Every member called "John" popped up. Hooray! Agressive caching after all.

Job done.

Mar 19, 2015 @ 15:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Amanda

Happy to see you managed to got it working and thank you for sharing the details :)

/Jan

• Tyler Brown 62 posts 209 karma points
    May 12, 2015 @ 15:46
    Tyler Brown

I'm having a similar issue. If I add a member picker property editor to a doctype, I do not see any members show up in the dialog, BUT the search works. Is this how the member picker dialog should work? Or should I be able to see all members listed by member group when the dialog initally loads? Is this something that changed when in Umbraco 7.2, since the member section is now rendered in listview?

May 12, 2015 @ 15:56
    Tyler Brown

ok, judging by this post it looks like my fears have been realized: If I understand this correctly, you must search for a member in the member picker, you can't choose from a pre-populated list by member group. The search is nice on the member picker, but it would be nice to be able to list them. On the other hand, if my member list gets really large (and it probably will) maybe I need to re-think how the dialog works. Anyone else dealing with large numbers of members and having the need to select them in a dialog? Or am I wrong about the way the member picker now works in 7.2+?

May 12, 2015 @ 16:26
    Tyler Brown

For anyone curious, I've done a little more testing and I have to say that the search on the member dialog is pretty awesome! I was worried about needing to list all members to select them, but in my case, I think the search is actually going to be a much better option.  You can type in multiple words in the search box and it will return a list of members matching at least one of the words. For instance, you type 10 email addresses in the search and the 10 members with those email addresses will be returned.  Maybe this was obvious to others, but it wasn't obvious to me!

I do wish it would list the members you've selected, since you can do multiple searches and check multiple results before clicking 'select'. But that's minor :)

H5YR Umbraco 7!

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft