Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at


  • Mark 116 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 14:33
    Mark
    0

    Large files not uploading to media section.

    I know this has been asked a number of times before, but the usual fixes haven't worked.

    I need to upload a large (ish) pdf file, 32Mb, to my media section and Umbraco is not playing ball.

    It is version 7.1.6 with an SQLCE backend.

    I have added

    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="512000" executionTimeout="9999" requestValidationMode="2.0" enableVersionHeader="false" targetFramework="4.5" />

    and

    <system.web.extensions>
        <scripting>
          <webServices>
            <jsonSerialization maxJsonLength="524288000"/>
          </webServices>
        </scripting>
      </system.web.extensions>

    so uploading files of 500Mb should be fine.

    However, I still get the red error:

    Edit: (test.txt is 32Mb in size)

    Does anyone have any thoughts? Is there another limit somehwere I haven't thought of.. This happens locally in IIS 8 Express ans on the live server, and I've not had the issue on any other installations of Umbraco..

    Cheers guys..

     

    Mark

  • Rhychelle Walker 7 posts 27 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 15:29
    Rhychelle Walker
    0

    i'd love to know a work around for this too, we currently hav eour graphic deisgner re-doing all our media content to fit the size limits.

  • Mark 116 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 15:33
    Mark
    0

    Well, in the short term, I have a hacky workaround of saving a smaller file with the same filename, and then popping the fullsize file over the top. Umbraco doesn't have the correct file size saved in the db, but that's no biggy. Very annoying though as I've done loads of sites with large media files and this is th first one that's misbehaving. :-/

  • Jan Skovgaard 11241 posts 23387 karma points MVP 6x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:07
    Jan Skovgaard
    0

    Hi Mark

    That does indeed sound weird - Have you tried uploading anything other than .txt files of that size to see if other file types are possible to upload without any issues?

    /Jan

  • Mark 116 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:10
    Mark
    0

    I have, the main file I was using was a pdf, and no joy with that either. Also tried a couple of PSDs and a zip, all the same symptoms. Everything was uploading until it was 10Mb or over, then nothing. There must be an issue somewhere, perhaps an upgrade further down the line will fix it. Unfortunately I can do that at the moment though..

    Mark

  • Jan Skovgaard 11241 posts 23387 karma points MVP 6x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:27
    Jan Skovgaard
    101

    Hi Mark

    You may need to increase the file size in this setting as well

    <!-- Max file size limitation -->
    <security>
      <requestFiltering>
        <requestLimits maxAllowedContentLength="157286400" />
      </requestFiltering>
    </security>
    

    Does this change anything?

    /Jan

  • Mark 116 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:42
    Mark
    0

    I did that, see my first question. It's set to 500Mb, it was originally set to 50Mb, but increasing it still made no difference, so something else must be interferring somewhere along the lines. Damned if I can find it at the moment though.

    Very annoying, but at least I know I have been changing the right values.

    Mark

  • Jan Skovgaard 11241 posts 23387 karma points MVP 6x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:47
    Jan Skovgaard
    0

    Hi Mark

    Yeah, I did read your first post - not same setting ;-)

    /Jan

  • Mark 116 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:55
    Mark
    0

    Oh my... 

    I have clearly looked at this too many times today.. You are absolutely correct..

    I wonder how many times I have looked at that snippet from others today as well and read it as being what I had..

    Face palm!

    One last fix before the end of the day it is then..

    Many thanks for your help.

    (Now I wonder why it has worked on my previous sites though, I literally copied the code over so it never occurred to me to double check I was adding the correct one)

    Mark

  • Jan Skovgaard 11241 posts 23387 karma points MVP 6x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 17:58
    Jan Skovgaard
    0

    Hi Mark

    The setting I posted seem to be a new thing to modify - not sure from which version but just noticed it in other of my installs as well. Back in the v4 days the maxRequestLength used to be enough. But in later versions it's sometimes necessary to set the other setting as well.

    Hope this is the culprit :=

    /Jan

  • Mark 116 posts 248 karma points
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 18:03
    Mark
    0

    It was the culprit.. tested the change and made it live now.. 

    Like I said, I have it in other sites, including 7.2 ones, but somehow the same problem never manifested..

    Oh well, you saved my day!

    Thanks again.

    Mark

  • Jan Skovgaard 11241 posts 23387 karma points MVP 6x admin c-trib
    Mar 18, 2015 @ 18:08
    Jan Skovgaard
    0

    Hi Mark

    Very happy to hear that - Enjoy your closing time :)

    /Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft