Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Madura Silva 27 posts 79 karma points
    Mar 25, 2015 @ 15:26
    Madura Silva

Failed to retrieve children for media item -1

I have upgraded Umbraco version from 6.1.5 to 7.1.8. It shows 'Failed to retrieve children for media item -1' when I try to add an image to WYSIWYG and media items does not loading to the right panel. Log file does not record any information about this error.

Please help to resolve this as site is ready to go live

enter image description here

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Mar 25, 2015 @ 15:33
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madura

Does the /App_Data/Logs file reveal further details? Anything marked with "ERROR" or "WARNING", which could be related? What steps did you take in order to do your upgrade?

/Jan

Mar 25, 2015 @ 22:51
    Madura Silva

Hi Jan,

I followed Upgrading Umbraco from V4 to V7 to do the site upgrade. Unfortunately no errors are captured in the error log :( Same error message will appear when I navigate to Media from any other tab

Media Tab error

Is there a way to capture all errors (any config settings)

Thanks, Madura

Mar 26, 2015 @ 16:03
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madura

Ok that's really odd - It's sure a nice writeup made on that site. I think that it might also be a good idea if you check the official documentation about upgrading here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/ - Both the version specific and the general documents can perhaps provide useful information. The link you posted seems to be very thorough and perhaps more up-to-date than the existing documentation in some areas - But it might also miss some of the things mentioned in the official documents.

Perhaps you can find some nice tips in going from 6 to 7 here as well https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/v7-upgrade

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Mar 30, 2015 @ 08:10
    Madura Silva

Hi Jan,

No luck for that :( Do you have any idea about the URL of the service that returns those images to front-end.

Thanks, Madura

Mar 30, 2015 @ 15:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Madura

Sorry to hear that - Unfortunately I don't have a clue about where the service is...

/Jan

Mar 31, 2015 @ 00:02
    Madura Silva

Hi Jan,

I checked the console and found these errors but not sure how to resolve this. It looks like URL does not pass all the required parameters. See below screen shoots.

Err 1

Err 2

Thanks, Madura

• Jason Soderberg 7 posts 32 karma points
    Sep 04, 2018 @ 20:22
    Jason Soderberg

I am having the same issue with one media folder after upgrading from 6.x to 7.12.1 , Did you ever get a solution to this issue?

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    May 07, 2019 @ 12:29
    Craig100

Me too on an upgrade from 7.1.6 to 7.13.1.

Error is:-

Unhandled controller exception occurred
    AutoMapper.AutoMapperMappingException: 

Mapping types:
    Media -> UserProfile
    Umbraco.Core.Models.Media -> Umbraco.Web.Models.ContentEditing.UserProfile

Destination path:
    ContentItemBasic`2.Owner.Owner

Source value:
    Umbraco.Core.Models.Media ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Umbraco.Core.Services.UserService.GetProfileById(Int32 id)
       at Umbraco.Web.Models.Mapping.OwnerResolver`1.ResolveCore(TPersisted source)
       at AutoMapper.ValueResolver`2.Resolve(ResolutionResult source)
       at System.Linq.Enumerable.Aggregate[TSource,TAccumulate](IEnumerable`1 source, TAccumulate seed, Func`3 func)
       at AutoMapper.Mappers.TypeMapObjectMapperRegistry.PropertyMapMappingStrategy.MapPropertyValue(ResolutionContext context, IMappingEngineRunner mapper, Object mappedObject, PropertyMap propertyMap)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---

Have ensured both the User Groups and individual Users have Media as their start node but still get this error.

Also get this error if I try to set the MediaPicker's start node.

• Craig100 1136 posts 2523 karma points c-trib
    May 14, 2019 @ 12:57
    Craig100

If anyone finds this, we just fixed it. In our case it was due to a single corrupt file. We found it by creating a new folder and then trying to move it to the top of the tree. It would only go so far. The next folder up was called Temp in which there was a file called "File" which we couldn't open nor find a physical folder with it's ID. Moving the folder in the Media section to the Recycle Bin solved the whole issue.

Hope this helps someone else :)

• Chris Dunsing 18 posts 83 karma points
    Jul 19, 2019 @ 22:54
    Chris Dunsing

Thanks for the lead Craig100. We had something similar happen:

Media Folders were unable to list files in the back office. Controls using Media References were throwing a similar error.

Tried to sort these media folders and discovered that they could not be updated / rearranged.

Reviewed media folders in UmbracoNode Table. Noticed that the [nodeUser] property was mapped to a deleted a user in the Back Office.

We updated the offending media nodes in the UmbracoNode Table to point to an existing back office user. This allowed AutoMapper to do its job. Umbraco stopped throwing an error on the failed user lookup.

I'll review and submit a bug if needed. This occurred in an upgraded site that is 7.14

Noticed a solution to a similar issue here:

https://our.umbraco.com/forum/using-umbraco-and-getting-started/94389-strange-exception-in-media-browser

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft