Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Stephen Davidson 216 posts 392 karma points
    Mar 31, 2015 @ 18:01
    Stephen Davidson

Upgrade a Umbraco website in Azure created from the Website Gallery

I have created a Umbraco website from the gallery in Microsoft Azure, at the time it was 7.2.2 but I now want to upgrade this to the latest version (7.2.4) to try and sort and issue around the InvalidCompositionException issue/bug.

Can I upgarde the site? Would it be a case of downloading all the files via FTP then running the upgarde via Nuget? Has anyone been able to do this?

I have tried but seem be running into problems everywhere...

S

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 31, 2015 @ 18:14
    Nicholas Westby

It can probably be done, but not in a straightforward way. For example, you have to workaround this issue for now: http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-5673

If you are running into other issues, I recommend submitting them to the Umbraco issue tracker.

I would definitely recommend performing the upgrade locally against a copied database to avoid problems.

Mar 31, 2015 @ 18:19
    Stephen Davidson

yeah my only option is to run the upgarde locally (i'm using the azure free websites) but that requires downloading all the web files from Azure via FTP which is slow. But this is where the problems start...if i open the downloaded files in VS it doesnt see it as a project.

Running Nuget command threw up lots of errors and now I'm left with a non working local site. All a bit of a mess. I can dowload the files again but not sure if it will make much of a difference.

S

PS as this is just a test site for now I am still using the local SDF files so azure SQL not such a big issue for me.

• Nicholas Westby 2054 posts 7100 karma points c-trib
    Mar 31, 2015 @ 18:22
    Nicholas Westby

There are two types of web "things" in Visual Studio. One is a Web Application, which has a project file. The other is a Website, which has no project file. If you try to "Open Project", you won't be able to. However, you should be able to "Open Website" just fine from Visual Studio.

Mar 31, 2015 @ 18:29
    Stephen Davidson

Yip thanks for getting back to me...I had opened it as a website and then ran the Nuget and started to run into issue. Think i need to download again and run it again.

Thanks for the input.

S

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft