Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Birger 14 posts 34 karma points
    Apr 07, 2015 @ 08:55
    Birger

Using WebMatrix. Something is wrong with my Newtonsoft.Json reference, and I can't figure out what.

I'm trying to build an Umbraco site in WebMatrix. It was going fairly well until I suddenly ran into the good old "Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=4.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference.". No big deal, we've all seen that one before. Just update the assembly reference, and it should work.

Well, found the assembly reference in my Web.config file, and it looks like this:

<dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" culture="neutral" />
            <bindingRedirecsystt oldVersion="0.0.0.0-6.0.0.0" newVersion="6.0.0.0" />
          </dependentAssembly>

Wait, the reference clarely says 6.0.0.0, why is it trying to find version 4.5.0.0?

I've tried a few different things.
    Changing the number in the assembly reference to 6.0.8.18111 (which is the version number of the Newtonsoft.Json.dll file I found in my bin folder), same result. Changed the number to 4.5.0.0, same result.
    Tried downloading version 4.5.1 from the Codeplex website (closest they had to 4.5.0.0), now I get the same error message, except now it tries to find version 6.0.0.0.

Tried deleting the dll, same error message. Tried installing the package via NuGet, now I'm back to the first error message again.

OK, I'm in over my head, time to ask for help. Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong?

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 07, 2015 @ 09:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Birger and welcome to our :)

What exact version of Umbraco are you using and how did you make the installation?

/Jan

Apr 07, 2015 @ 09:10
    Birger

Thanks. :-)

In WebMatrix, I created a new site from the App Gallery, choosing the Umbraco CMS option. Then I uninstalled the starter kit it came with, and started building my site from scratch.

Is there a way to check what Umbraco version I have installed without entering the backoffice?

Apr 07, 2015 @ 09:22
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Birger

Ok, it's probably either 7.2.2 or 7.2.4 depending on whether the feed from Microsoft has been updated or not.

But you can see it in the backoffice by going to the "Help" section in the lower left corner. Then it's says what version it is in a small print with a grey color, which can be hard to see sometimes. You can also see the "umbracoConfigurationStatus" in the web.config.

Have you been installing some packages in Umbraco?

/Jan

Apr 07, 2015 @ 09:35
    Birger

Well, I can't even enter the backoffice... Trying to visit http://localhost:2405/umbraco throws the same error: "Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=4.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)"

The only package I can remember having installed in Umbraco is ezSearch, and it was working for several days after I installed that one.

Apr 07, 2015 @ 09:48
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Birger

Ok, but then you can have a look in the web.config as I suggested as well.

But it sounds like the site has been working...so I'm just wondering what changes could have been made to the installation or to the machine you're working out, which might be the cause of this. Any recent changes that could affect this? What version of the .NET framework is installed on your machine?

/Jan

Apr 07, 2015 @ 10:00
    Birger

Ah, sorry, somehow I didn't see you mention the Web.config file.

<add key="umbracoConfigurationStatus" value="7.1.8" />

No recent changes that I can think of, although it's possible that I either didn't notice, or forgot. I haven't noticed anything else broken either, just this single Umbraco project.

Looks like I have .NET 4.5.2 installed. Plus the 4.5.1 SDK.

Apr 07, 2015 @ 10:05
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Birger

Ok, it this a client project or is it a project you're doing for learning the ins- and outs of Umbraco? If it's for learning I think you might be better of with trying to start over on a fresh installation - Or you could try to upgrade the installation to 7.2.4, which is the latest stable release - You can read about upgrading here https://our.umbraco.org/documentation/Installation/Upgrading/

/Jan

Apr 07, 2015 @ 10:10
    Birger

It's a client projects, so I was hoping I wouldn't have to start over...

I guess I'll try upgrading, and see if that solves the issue.

Thanks anyway, I'll write an update after the upgrade.

Apr 07, 2015 @ 10:18
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Birger

Ok, then starting over is out of the question. I was just thinking that it could save a lot of time if it was just for a learning purpose.

Are there other developers working on this project or are you the only one?

Make sure to keep a backup of the files and the database before doing the upgrade and make sure to read the instructions carefully.

/Jan

Apr 07, 2015 @ 12:36
    Birger

I'm the only developer working on this project.

Allright, I did a backup, then tried to update. Didn't see anything about 7.2.4 (or 7.2.0) in the version specific instructions, so I just followed the general instructions.

Downloaded version 7.2.4 from the download page. Copied the bin, Umbraco, and Umbraco_Client folders, overwriting all files. Compared the configuration files using WinMerge, and didn't see anything lacking from the old files. Tried running my project again, and still got the same error: "Could not load file or assembly etc"

Damn.

Apr 07, 2015 @ 12:44
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Birger

Ok, not sure what to suggest trying out next...Just really weird that this error has happened. Unfortunately I'm not sure what to do about it. Hopefully some of the other bright minds in here have a clue and suggestion for you.

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft