Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• René Andersen 238 posts 684 karma points
    Apr 09, 2015 @ 12:56
    René Andersen

Upload Umbraco 7 website to a live server

Hi

I am about to upload my first Umbraco 7 website from localhost to a live server.

Should I just upload everything?

See image below:

Thanks in advance!

// René

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 09, 2015 @ 13:04
    Dennis Aaen

Hi René

There are some folder that I think you don´t need to upload, since these are environment specific, I am talking about App_Data/Logs, and App_Data/TEMP, you can upload them but, I can´t see why you want to have your logs from localhost on your live.

After the first upload you shouldn´t take the media folder with the next upload, if you do this then you will override the images.

Hope my comment is useful.

/Dennis

Apr 09, 2015 @ 13:08
    René Andersen

Hi Dennis

That was useful, but what about files like:

Profil.csproj

Profil.csproj.user

Web.Debug.config

Web.Release.config

// René

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 09, 2015 @ 13:17
    Dennis Aaen

Hi René,

I can see at the current project that I am working on, at my work we don´t take these things to the live sever. But we are using MS Deploy for deploying our solutions to the different environments and Team City too. But I am not a .NET developer :-)

Hope this can be useful too. :-)

/Dennis

Apr 09, 2015 @ 13:40
    René Andersen

Hi Dennis,

Both of you replies was useful.

Thanks.

// René

Feb 04, 2016 @ 11:47
    René Andersen

Hi,

Lately I have noticed that the folder: "App_Data -> Cache" uses a lot of megabytes. Is it okay to delete the content of this folder before putting the website online?

// René

Feb 04, 2016 @ 12:35
    René Andersen

UPDATE!

I have just tried to delete the "App_Data -> Cache" folder and it looks like the website works.

Can anybody confirm that deleting this folder does not affect anything on the website?

Thanks!

// René

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Feb 04, 2016 @ 18:57
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi René

It should be safe to not deploy the /AppData/Cache folder - The only folder I usually deploy from /AppData is the "Packages" folder and the umbraco.config (But I guess that can be left too since it will just be re-generated if it's not present and once the site is live you will not want to override when deploying anyway) and if I'm running the site on CE SQL the umbraco.sdf file is included as well of course.

So in short - It's perfectly fine leaving / deleting the /App_Data/Cache folder.

/Jan

Feb 08, 2016 @ 13:21
    René Andersen

Hi Jan

That's great thank you for your answer.

// René

• Tommy Enger 72 posts 277 karma points c-trib
    Feb 08, 2016 @ 13:44
    Tommy Enger

If you use Visual Studio, you can right-click the web-project and select "publish". Publish method = File system, Configuration = Release. You also have a checkbox for selecting to exclude App_Data folder. (I don't included the App-data folder in my VS-project so it will excluded anyway)

This should generate a folder with the files needed (and apply web.config-transformations if you have added specific settings for production)

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft