Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Birger 14 posts 34 karma points
    Apr 14, 2015 @ 10:07
    Birger

"No database provider was specified. The default database provider is incorrect."

I'm building an Umbraco site using a SQL CE database, and I'm having trouble getting it working on a web server.

The server is running IIS 7.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2. I've installed Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 x64 on it.

When I published the web site, I used the Publish functionality in Visual Studio to publish to file system, copied the published folder to the server, copied the file Umbraco.sdf from the App_Data folder in my workspace and placed it in the same folder on the server. I set up the web site in IIS, and started it.

When I try to visit the web site I see the welcome page we normally get before we add any content. "You're seeing the wonderful page because your website doesn't contain any published content yet," etc. When I try to log in to backoffice, it does not recognise my credentials.

When I visit Database Manager in IIS it lists three database connections: LocalSqlServer, LocalMySqlServer, and umbracoDbDSN. Trying to open any of them gives me an error message. umbracoDbDSN (which I believe is the correct database connection, correct me if I'm wrong) gives me the error in the title of this post: "No database provider was specified. The default database provider is incorrect."

I guess I have to specify a database provider? How do I do that?

I apologise if that's a dumb question, but I'm kind of new to IIS and Windows Server.

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2015 @ 10:12
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Birger

Yes the line with "umbracoDbDSN" is the correct one - What does the connection string in it look like? You should be aware the CE SQL has some issues and you can risk losing data so I'll encourage you to consider using MSSQL - MSSQL Express should be fine.

See this issue http://issues.umbraco.org/issue/U4-4621 and this post about it https://our.umbraco.org/forum/umbraco-7/using-umbraco-7/49713-Losing-data-on-server-restart

Fortunately migrating from CE SQL should be easy - For instance Carlos Martinez has written about it here http://carlosmartinezt.com/2014/03/umbraco-migrate-from-sql-ce-to-sql-server/

Hope this helps.

/Jan

Apr 14, 2015 @ 10:23
    Birger

From the Web.config file:

<add name="umbracoDbDSN" connectionString="Data Source=|DataDirectory|\Umbraco.sdf;Flush Interval=1;" providerName="System.Data.SqlServerCe.4.0" />

In the Connection Strings section in IIS I can't find the connection string for umbracoDbDSN, only for the other two database connections. I hadn't noticed this before, and I figure it might be relevant.

And I'll have a look at the link about migrating the database. Thanks for the warning about SQL CE.

Apr 14, 2015 @ 13:48
    Birger

I gave migration a try, but I run into a problem already when trying to create a Data Connection in the Server Explorer in VS. After grinding for a while, it gives me the following error message:

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

I have an SQL Express database running on the server, which is set to allow remote connections. I've even tried switching the firewall off while trying to connect to it.

The IP address should be enough for the server name field, right? What else could be wrong?

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft