Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Leon 101 posts 489 karma points
    Apr 14, 2015 @ 11:30
    Leon

The real cost of umbraco because you need a few packages

Hello.

I'm not having a go, just want to know if I'm being realistic (I love Umbraco). The real cost of a decent single umbraco website is at least 200 euro because you will need umbraco forms (most websites use forms). You will also need courier (because most websites need a way to deploy and manage content and the free packages aren't great for production).

You could also do with SEO checker (100 euro).

I have none of those at the moment and life could be a lot easier for me. Although I don't want to spend 300 euro, I think it will be well worth it unless there are other options?

Just wanting to know what most of the umbraco community use and if there are alternative free options - specially for deployment and transfer of content (uSync, umport and conveyor are good, but not great in production in my experience)?

Leon

• Dennis Aaen 4499 posts 18254 karma points admin hq c-trib
    Apr 14, 2015 @ 11:52
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Leon,

I know that Umbraco HQ is working really hard on a product that they are calling Umbraco As A Service. Which should do it mutch eaiser to do deployment between different envioments. Niels is talk about it here in the keynote for the last year Codegarden in Copenhagen. http://stream.umbraco.org/video/9918428/umbraco-codegarden-14-keynote Try to see from in 45 minute, to get an idea of what Umbraco As A Service is, or Umbraco.com, as it called now.

I also find an older blogpost about it, that can gives you an idea of what it is. http://www.patrickvankleef.com/2014/08/25/umbraco-as-a-service/ Don´t look to muctch at  the prices, perhaps they change when it comes out. Right now it´s still in a beta version.

Hope this helps,

/Dennis

• Jan Skovgaard 11280 posts 23678 karma points MVP 10x admin c-trib
    Apr 14, 2015 @ 11:55
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

You need to look at it this way - When doing an Umbraco project there are no initial expensive license costs that you or your client needs to pay even before development has been started. Umbraco as a core product is free and the cost of the website depends on how much time it will take you to build the website.

In this estimate you need to include the cost of spending money on commercial add-ons - Deciding whether it's worth spending money on an add-on comes down to if you can solve the issue, that the add-on is going to solve for you, faster yourself or not. If you can solve it faster yourself then it's not worth the investment. But if you can't then it is.

The Umbraco core is open source and free to use and build upon.

If you can't find a package that solves your issue then usually you'll need to spend some time on finding a solution yourself (As a developer).

In regards to doing deploys the mentioned packages are the best free alternatives there are if you don't want to spend money on Courier.

But there is also a manual approach to doing deploys, which involves copying over files manually and then making your backoffice changes manually on each staging and production instance that you might have.

Hopefully "Umbraco as a service" will be able to solve this deployment hell that it can sometimes be. But it's not available to the public yet and it will cost a monthly fee. Can't remember what the cheapest and most expensive licences will be - But it will probably be justified by the time it takes to setup a project and get going manually as well as deploys.

Hopefully some news about the project will be announced during the upcoming codegarden event :)

/Jan

Apr 14, 2015 @ 12:05
    Leon

That's great. Thanks Jan and Dennis. I'm happy with those answers. As I said, I just wanted to make sure that I have the right expectations and that I'm being realistic. I love Umbraco and I think it's worth paying for the pro packages in stead of trying to code my own. Looking forward to finding out more about Umbraco as a service.

Bless you. "held og lykke"

Leon

Apr 14, 2015 @ 12:21
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

Happy to hear it helped :) - Are you coming to Codegarden btw?

/Jan

Apr 14, 2015 @ 12:27
    Leon

Hi Jan.

Can't make it. Will it be streamed / recorded?

Leon

Apr 14, 2015 @ 12:32
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Leon,

Yeah the sessions from Codegarden will normally be recorded and released after the Codegarden. You can find sessions from earlier Codegarden´s here.

http://stream.umbraco.org/

/Dennis

Apr 16, 2015 @ 15:38
    Leon

Hi Dennis.

I've just watched that video of umbraco as a service. WOW! Have you used it? Is it really as good as on the demo? Will it be easy enough to use umbraco as a service with Visual Studio? Will it be easy enough to use things like Compass, Bower, Grunt, Gulp, Sass and Less?

Leon

Apr 16, 2015 @ 15:46
    Dennis Aaen

Hi Leon,

I have not tried it myself, it´s only in beta now. But, the Umbraco HQ are working hard to get it out soon I think. I think that you are developing local like you do today where you can use things like Compass, Bower, Grunt, Gulp, Sass and Less. And then the Umbraco As A Service makes it much easier for you to do the deployment to each of your envioments.

/Dennis

Apr 16, 2015 @ 15:49
    Jan Skovgaard

Hi Leon

It's not available to the public yet - It has been in beta for quite a while. Hopefully there will soon be released some news about it.

You should be able to use all of the mentioned technologies since you have the control over your code and architecture. You can set it up as you would like.

During the upcoming Codegarden event there will probably be announced more news about this.

You can sign up here to receive more news when it's ready http://umbraco.com/future

/Jan

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft