Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• AmandaEly 123 posts 379 karma points
    Apr 20, 2015 @ 15:38
    AmandaEly

Performance problems on site with 70,000 images

Hi,

I have now added all of the legacy images from the previous version of the site I am working on. 70,000 of them. I am still running a development version of the new site on my desktop. I am using version 7.2.4. Transferring the images took days, what with one thing and another and now I wonder if it was worth it. Querying Umbraco via mediaservice or looking at the images in the back office (I have about 400 folders) taks quite a lot of time. I am concerned that the same will be true of the front end, once I start setting up galleries and so on. 

Is Umbraco really suitable for this? Would anyone recommend using some other tool for my images, such as Flickr or Picasa? Or can I boost performance with Examine?

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 20, 2015 @ 22:26
    Dan Diplo

You could look at hosting them elsewhere - such as Amazon S3 using a package like - https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/amazon-s3-media ;

Apr 21, 2015 @ 07:58
    AmandaEly

I'm afraid that link is not working for some reason. 

My issue with Umbraco isn't really the storage, as I have plenty on my new host. It's about retrieving the information from the database. As I understand it (not much) mediaservices and the like use an xml file rather than querying the database directly (?). At any rate, with 70,000 entries (plus those for folders) this is unwieldy. Ideally, I would like to leave the images where they are and just access the information about them much faster, whether in the back office (where it takes around ten miunutes even to move a folder!) to the front end.

• Dave Woestenborghs 3504 posts 12134 karma points MVP 9x admin c-trib
    Apr 21, 2015 @ 08:26
    Apr 21, 2015 @ 09:53
    AmandaEly

Hi Dave,

These are the links I am looking at right now. Yes, I shall certainly try that approach. On the other hand, I am going to expect other users of the back office to work with the Media dashboard and it is so sloooow! How do I speed that up?

Apr 21, 2015 @ 10:03
    AmandaEly

Just tried to move some folders around on the media dashboard. This is very slow, frequently stops altogether and is basically unworkable.

Apr 21, 2015 @ 10:32
    AmandaEly

And now the operation timed out when I chose "sort". This really isn't ok.

• Dan Diplo 1554 posts 6205 karma points MVP 6x c-trib
    Apr 21, 2015 @ 13:41
    Dan Diplo

Note sure why the link didn't work, but I'll try again:

https://our.umbraco.org/projects/website-utilities/amazon-s3-media

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft