Copied to clipboard

Flag this post as spam?

This post will be reported to the moderators as potential spam to be looked at

• Wally Hartshorn 3 posts 23 karma points
    Apr 20, 2015 @ 22:45
    Wally Hartshorn

Media folders and files missing

I'm brand new to Umbraco and am still experimenting with it to decide whether this is what we want to use. I'm very impressed with its power, but have run into a problem.

Last week, I created a small Umbraco web site on my PC.

On Wednesday, I went to the Media screen, created a folder, and uploaded a couple of images in that folder.

On Friday, I went to the Media screen again, created some more folders, and uploaded several files (a few images and several PDFs).

On Monday (today), I went to the Media screen and found that the folders I created on Friday were missing, as were the files that I uploaded. HOWEVER, the files were still present on the file system and are still displayed properly by my Umbraco web site. Also, the folder that I created Wednesday is NOT missing; it and its files still show up on the Media screen.

I've tried "Reload Nodes", but that doesn't fix the problem.

This might or might not be related, but the default sample site that is installed has numerous files in the media directory on the file system, but NONE of those files show up in the Media page.

Any idea what the cause of the problem might be and how I can get those nodes to show up again?

Umbraco version 7.2.4 assembly: 1.0.5557.19139
    .Net Framework 4.5.1
    Windows 7 Enterprise SP1
    Visual Studio 2013

• Jeroen Breuer 4908 posts 12265 karma points MVP 4x admin c-trib
    Apr 21, 2015 @ 12:08
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

Did you customize the installation when installing Umbraco? By default Umbraco uses SQL CE which stores the database locally. Maybe something went wrong with the database. Maybe that's why the files are still there, but not displayed in the backoffice.

Jeroen

Apr 21, 2015 @ 15:37
    Wally Hartshorn

I installed an empty web site, using the default SQL CE database. If the database became corrupt, is there a way to get it to reload the missing media files? The idea that the database could become corrupted so easily is troubling, if that is in fact what happened.

Apr 21, 2015 @ 15:45
    Jeroen Breuer

Hello,

The file is stored on \App_Data\umbraco.sdf. It won't get corrupted easily, but maybe you override it by accident? If you did you can only get it back if it's in version control.

Jeroen

Apr 21, 2015 @ 16:03
    Wally Hartshorn

In looking through my web site more, I've discovered that it's not just media files that are missing. Entire web pages are missing from the list of Content nodes. As with the media files, these are things that I had created on Friday. Pages that were created earlier are still there.

Although the web pages don't show up in the list of Content nodes, I can still browse to them in the web site, and they still show up in the Site Map.

It sure does sound as if an earlier version has overwritten the database, but I've no idea how that could have happened. I didn't even know where the database file was, much less overwrite it, and I'm unaware of any task running on my PC that would have done so.

Apr 21, 2015 @ 16:08
    Jeroen Breuer

The content is probably still visible because it's still in the \App_Data\umbraco.config file where all content is cached. If you republish your entire site the content probably can't be visited anymore. Strange that you lose content like this.

Jeroen

• Brandon Wemhoff 1 post 21 karma points
    Jun 05, 2015 @ 18:58
    Brandon Wemhoff

Having the same exact issue. I can upload a media file, save it, then reload the whole website and its gone. Same thing with any published content. As soon as I publish any page and then reload the site its missing from the tree and gives me a 404

• James Jackson-South 489 posts 1747 karma points c-trib
    Jun 07, 2015 @ 17:15
    James Jackson-South

I wonder whether the Examine indexes are corrupt?

Could you try checking and rebuilding them. You'll see the option under "Developer"

enter image description here

• Andrew Vennells 16 posts 101 karma points
    Sep 02, 2015 @ 03:18
    Andrew Vennells

Things to try

1) Make sure your AppData and Media folders are accessible by your application pool. Set IISIUSRS full permissions to these folders. As a test you can temporarily give "Everyone" user full permission to see if it helps. see this document

2) republish the whole site by going to: http://

3) Reindex the site as described in previous post

Please Sign in or register to post replies

Write your reply to:

Draft